[Problem] Laptop with Nvidia 820m. Cannot play even older games at a decent setting. Gameplay stutters during NFS:MW2, CODMW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

adarshnet

Estimable
Nov 8, 2014
I bought a Hp-r007tx two months ago that has a 2gb dedicated NVIDIA GeForce 820M card with an Intel Core-i5 4210U. I have the latest drivers for the NVIDIA graphic card (as well as the intel graphic card installed). I also reinstalled them.

I am having problems with the graphic card as I'm unable to play even old games on a decent graphic setting.

For example, COD-MW on normal setting at a resolution of 1366x768 gives me an average fps of 20.8 fps (using fraps). Dota 2 runs at 30-40fps on everything low+render(72%). NFS MW2 stutters while playing.

I used TechPowerUp's benchmarking software and got the following log while playing COD-MW at the aforementioned settings. Notice how the GPU Core Clock drastically reduces to 162MHz when I'm moving inside the game. (I alt-tabbed out of the game several times, hence the 0 GPU load inbetween there)

Here's the pic of the log.

http://i.imgur.com/ibV4RT1.png

Please advise on what to do.

Note, I tried what was suggested here but to no avail. ( http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=392558 )

Solution

ok so at least the fan is working and there is nothing blocking the heatsink. Maybe the heatpipes have a poor contact to the chip, the screws could be loose or they did very bad job applying the thermal paste at the factory. You could send it back for repairs or do it yourself...

edit it might take quite a lot disassembling to get to the chips but nothing too difficult :)

Kari

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2004
I'd say the chip is throttling down due to high temps, looking at that log it doesn't like being at 90c+ and also there doesnt seem to be any usable clockrates between 442 and 162Mhz (the latter is probbaly the idle clocks). Once it has sat at 162 for couple of seconds and cooled to low 80s it tries again with 641 and hits 95c and drops down again.

Can you hear the fan running fast when it gets hot? Is the exhausted air really warm? Good airflow?

adarshnet

Estimable
Nov 8, 2014
@vrumor : For a long time, I was content with that answer until my friend bought the exact same model and those exact same games work like a charm in his laptop.

@Kari : Yes, the fan runs really fast once the game starts running and pushes out air at a high rate. The air does got warm after a while.

Kari

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2004

ok so at least the fan is working and there is nothing blocking the heatsink. Maybe the heatpipes have a poor contact to the chip, the screws could be loose or they did very bad job applying the thermal paste at the factory. You could send it back for repairs or do it yourself...

edit it might take quite a lot disassembling to get to the chips but nothing too difficult :)

Solution

adarshnet

Estimable
Nov 8, 2014
According to "Deepansh Rastogi" here, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DiU8B4tmn4

The problem is with the heat sink.... I'll get it changed and let you know what happens.

Update :

The problem is fixed.

The first time around, the service man removed the thermal paste and added a fresh coat after which it worked fine. However, a few days later, while playing Dota 2 (on medium settings), the screen suddenly shut down. When I restarted, it said "Thermal Shutdown. Your laptop was switched off to prevent over-heating."

So, this time around, I got the heat-sink replaced with a new one and the fps still is better in the few minutes I played.

Status
Not open for further replies.