Problem recovering HD files from dead laptop

Apr 21, 2018
Son's old laptop died. BIOS corrupted. Machine too old to pay for repair.

I rescued HD to try to recover files. I used an HD to USB cable.

I'm running Windows 7 Pro (64 bit) SP1.

The device shows up under "Devices and Printers" but does not appear under "My Computer".

Under "Control Panel|Administrative Tools|Storage|Disk Management", the HD is listed but it shows as unformatted.

Does this perhaps mean that the HD was also corrupted and is now junk?

Or is it possible my desktop is just not properly recognizing it?

Laptop = Toshiba Satellite C655-S5505 PSC2EU-08F02H. Desktop = HP p6774y AMD Phenom II X4 840T.

Any suggestions?

Solution
Sounds like you may need to do some data recovery (if possible) on the drive to access it. However, before trying that, I would see if you can try connecting it to a different computer to see if that computer will recognize it. If you get the same problem, then I would try the data recovery. No guaranty it will work, but it would be your best option to try and access the data on the drive.
Sounds like you may need to do some data recovery (if possible) on the drive to access it. However, before trying that, I would see if you can try connecting it to a different computer to see if that computer will recognize it. If you get the same problem, then I would try the data recovery. No guaranty it will work, but it would be your best option to try and access the data on the drive.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS