Problem: Toslink out of HDMI to receiver

Sarkarlos

Estimable
May 12, 2014
Greetings,

I am trying to get digital audio out of my computer and into an old receiver that does not support HDMI. My motherboard does not have any optical out, so I decided to pick up a little device that takes HDMI in and then spits it back out along with an optical out and RCA L/R out.

After running an HDMI cable from my computer to the device and the optical cable from the device to my receiver, I ran into a problem. In the sound playback settings (Windows 8.1) it says that the HDMI is not plugged in.

If I completely forgot some important step, please point it out :D I am completely stumped, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Possibly useful information:
- The HDMI splitter device is called J-Tech HDMI 2.1ch/5.1ch Audio Extractor. Bought it on Amazon, so just plug that name into the search bar on Amazon and you should be able to find it.

SquidSurprise

Estimable
Nov 6, 2014
I have done the exact same thing!! I have an HDMI splitter as well (got it on ebay) and am outputting the HDMI audio to the splitter, then running the TOSlink cable to my receiver...

I AM connecting to a projector (for the video), so my PC doesn't tell me it's not plugged in - it tells me the device is stereo only... I suspect that the splitter isn't detected as a 5.1 device... wondering if anyone has found a workaround?

Pondering a way to "trick" my card (nvidia 880m) into thinking the device is a 5.1 device...

SquidSurprise

Estimable
Nov 6, 2014
I have done the exact same thing!! I have an HDMI splitter as well (got it on ebay) and am outputting the HDMI audio to the splitter, then running the TOSlink cable to my receiver...

I AM connecting to a projector (for the video), so my PC doesn't tell me it's not plugged in - it tells me the device is stereo only... I suspect that the splitter isn't detected as a 5.1 device... wondering if anyone has found a workaround?

Pondering a way to "trick" my card (nvidia 880m) into thinking the device is a 5.1 device...

SquidSurprise

Estimable
Nov 6, 2014
Ok... So this counts as "solving" this question!?!?

I simply posted a similar problem!

I did end up solving it by purchasing an external sound card - was the only way I could get 5.1 sound :(

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
demanz Audio 0
Aivarasasas11224 Audio 8
A Audio 0
M Audio 0
Exotic_Nefariousness Audio 1
W Audio 8
T Audio 1
Warior Within Audio 0
Q Audio 1
H Audio 0
R Audio 2