Problem with Line Magnetic LM-502CA DAC

HifiFinn

Estimable
Jan 29, 2015
I purchased the unit recently (an external DAC). I'm trying to get it to read the USB signal, otherwise it works well. First, when I connected it to my laptop, the green signal light on the panel flashed on and off. I changed the cord, the same result. My computer could not detect the drivers the DAC used but it did detect the DAC itself.

Then I ran the driver installation and setup program included in the accompanying minidisc. The installing succeeded but while the green signal light kept flashing, the setup had difficulty recognizing the DAC. I noticed the setup did register the DAC for roughly one second just when I plugged it into my laptop since the display on the DAC panel told me this. By very quickly clicking "next" in the setup during this second, I was able to finish the setup. However, it took quite a long time. Finally it said "would you like to finish and unplug and re-plug the DAC". I clicked "yes".

Now my computer slowed down a lot and, after a long search, could not detect the DAC drivers after all. Then the flashing green signal light on the panel of the DAC went out and hasn't lit up again. At the same time, my computer started to completely ignore the DAC: it's not found by Windows nor listed in the Device Manager on any port.

I've not been able to check the situation with other computers. I tried to change the USB cord, no help. My computer's USB ports seem to be working with other inputs. Also, I can detect a green signal light inside the DAC lighting up when I plug in the USB to the computer but nothing on the front panel.

At least some of my USB ports and also my new cable are 2.0 that is required for transfer. My drivers should be in order.

So, is there any other way other than a second computer to see whether my DAC is still working (e.g., via a USB hub)? I fear it got damaged somehow in the setup since at the moment no USB port -- be it "high" or "full" -- can recognize it. I really don't know much about computers and whether a setup process gone wrong can damage an external DAC.

All help would be greatly appreciated!

Greetings from Finland!

HifiFinn

Estimable
Jan 29, 2015
I talked to a local hifi repairs representative and he said the fault is with the DAC hardware! This is quite astonishing since I've had good experience with Asian hifi before. What is more, Line Magnetic has received universal acclaim in the Western hifi press. Quality control must have almost disappeared somewhere along the line.

So, I'm now in process of negotiating about a possible return or repairing it here at the seller's expense.

Jeand

Estimable
Feb 6, 2015

I received my L M 502ca 3 days ago and my expérience With the Installation of the driver for the usb port is exacly the same as yours . it never detect the DAC driver. Will try With another computer in a few days and Will tell you the results. Is it possible to change the Xmos module ?
J.D.G.

Jeand

Estimable
Feb 6, 2015
Finely , I talked to my dealer and They Will send to me a New Xmos module in a couple of weeks an I Will install it .I am sûre that it Will fix the problem .

sidvee

Estimable
Mar 4, 2015
I am having the exact same issue. 2 computers not recognizing the LM502CA Dac. Waiting for dealer to resolve the issue through Line Magnetic.
Cheers,
Sid

sidvee

Estimable
Mar 4, 2015
Line Magnetic engineer has trouble shot the problem to a defective usb module in my case. They have sent a new one to my dealer. Should have it replaced in the next few days.
Cheers,
Sid

Xavier3

Estimable
Aug 15, 2015
Hello,

I have tried out the latest driver kit (1.61). The connection to the USB XMOS module works absolutely fine. All three lights on the USB XMOS module are green. My notebook (now the second notebook) sends normal cd signals (44,1 Hz) and if I turn on the dac, I can see (SR: 44.1) for half a second in the display. Also I see (for the same time) the green light on the front panel. I have tried out to connect the dac directly to my AURALIC Aries. Always the same default. The problem is that there is no permanent stable connection between the USB XMOS module and the internal dac.

Could anyone help me with this problem?

Best regards,

Xavier

Xavier3

Estimable
Aug 15, 2015

Hy sidvee,

was your problem by replacing your USB module solved?

Best regards,

Xavier

gorysaye

Estimable
Aug 16, 2015
They have sent a new one to my dealer. Should have it replaced in the next few days.
eZhjxA

GreyPMC

Estimable
Oct 4, 2015
Greetings from Australia, I don't know how everyone has got on with the LM 502, but I think I've worked it out. Nothing to do with hardware in my case, just blood, sweat and tears for a few hours! I'm reasonably computer aware and am using a cheap Lenovo laptop (bought specially) and a WD MyCloud NAS. I loaded the bundled software/driver disk onto the lappy by USB (no optical disk drive on Lenovo ) and was told that the drivers were not compatible with Windows 10! I opened the software, right clicked on the Thesycon folder, then TUSBAudio_v1.56.0, then CustomisationKit, then DriverPackages, then XMOS_EVAL_KITS, you then arrive at debug and release folders, open debug and double click setup...follow steps. I did the same with the release folder.
I had previously loaded some codec software to help with compatibility issues.
I am using jRiver Media Center.
If anyone needs this info, respond here and I'll try to help more. I'm not an expert, just persistent!
GR.