Problem with Mini Display Port to HDMI - Asus TX300CA to TV LG 4k display

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damien2468

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016
Hello,
I've read the some thread about it but I don't find a answer for my problem.
I've got a Asus Transformer TX300CA (2.5 years old) and an 4K LG 49UB830V TV (1.5year old).
I use the mini display port output of the Asus to use an external screen, it works perfectly.

I d'like to use it on the television. I bought a mini display port / hdmi cable a few month ago but it doesn'work :
The TV does'nt recognize the computer. Nothing appens but a message "no connection found" on the TV.

Is that an adaptater issue (do I need to buy the special 4K one ?) or is there anything else to do ?

I 've tried for a few ours, stoping the TV, changing the resolutions.. nothing works.

Thanks for you help, Damien

Solution
So, I think I found the problem. If it can help anybody else :

The mini display port of the TX300CA Asus doesn't support DP++, I need an active adapter.

"What is the difference between a passive and active DisplayPort converter?

When you convert video from a source that uses DisplayPort or Mini DisplayPort to DVI or HDMI (for example, a computer to a monitor), you will need to consider the difference between passive and active adapters.

If the source supports dual-mode DisplayPort (also known as DP++), then you can use a passive adapter because the source can perform the conversion. If the source does not support DP++, then you need to use an active converter, which includes additional chips to perform the conversion...

Damien2468

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016
So, I think I found the problem. If it can help anybody else :

The mini display port of the TX300CA Asus doesn't support DP++, I need an active adapter.

"What is the difference between a passive and active DisplayPort converter?

When you convert video from a source that uses DisplayPort or Mini DisplayPort to DVI or HDMI (for example, a computer to a monitor), you will need to consider the difference between passive and active adapters.

If the source supports dual-mode DisplayPort (also known as DP++), then you can use a passive adapter because the source can perform the conversion. If the source does not support DP++, then you need to use an active converter, which includes additional chips to perform the conversion.

Thunderbolt ports support DP++ natively. To run multiple monitors from the same computer, please see the Active Adapters section below.

Passive Adapters

Passive adapters are less expensive since they do not need to include additional chips. A quick way to check whether you can use a passive adapter is to see if the DisplayPort or Mini DisplayPort source has the DP++ symbol above it. The symbol is a D with a P inside of it, with two + signs to the left, one on top of the other.

Active Adapters

Active adapters use additional chips to make the conversion inside the adapter, regardless of whether the source supports DP++. This means that active adapters are more expensive than passive adapters. "

here is the full explanation
https://www.startech.com/faq/DisplayPort_Converter_DP_Multi_Mode

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.