Problem with TV sound not going out of the Home Theater system.

nathale

Commendable
Apr 16, 2016
I have a new Sony Bravia TV and an older model Sony home theater system so I connected the audio out from the TV's digital output to an adapter which connected out to the home theater receiver via RCA jacks. It initially worked but when we took out the DVD player, the sound stopped coming out of the home theater system. It works when we put the receiver in FM and AM though. Please help me figure out what happened. Thanks.

Not sure what you mean exactly by "took out the DVD player". If you mean you connected it to the TV and can't get audio from the DVD into the HT system then go into the DVD menu and change the audio output type to another choice. One should work.
If you mean that you disconnected the DVD from the TV and audio stopped working check that you didn't pull out or damage the optical cable at the TV. Check the RCA cables too just in case.

nathale

Commendable
Apr 16, 2016

nathale

Commendable
Apr 16, 2016
Thanks for your response. I meant the DVD player was unplugged. My husband checked the optical cable and the RCA jacks for connectivity and he said they are fine, so we are thinking that it is not a connection problem. We went to Best Buy, where we bought both of the appliances, and asked the customer rep about our issue and he said that the adaptor we bought is not a reliable one wherein it can work for a while and then might stop working later. He suggested that we should just go to the settings and try different options. Another suggestion is to buy a new receiver.