Problems with getting audio to my stereo receiver!

tonylarson

Estimable
Jan 12, 2016
This is kind of all over the place, but maybe someone here can help?! Fingers crossed, because I'm going nuts.

Ok, I have a Sony STR-DH100 receiver and an LG 56" flatscreen tv (it's about 6 years old). I am successfully running my turntables, iPad and my DirecTV through the receiver getting audio to my external speakers fine.

The t.v. has no audio out jacks, so I had to run the audio out from the DirecTV box into the receiver to get sound from the t.v. to the stereo.

Here's the problems:

1. No audio using ROKU - When I use the HDMI slots that I plug my ROKU streaming stick into, I get no audio except for out of the t.v. speakers, not my stereo system? How can I get audio from the t.v. to the stereo when using ROKU?

2. No audio from Blueray player - Same problem as ROKU. However, the Blueray player has a single audio out jack that says "Digital Audio Out" and below that it says "Coaxial". I'm assuming I need to run a single coaxial cable with RCA stereo plugs on the other end into the stereo receiver? Do those cables exist?

Any help is highly appreciated!

-TL

mymutter

Estimable
Dec 23, 2014
Simple answer:
Hi, sounds like you either need to upgrade your TV to one with an analog (red and white RCA's) or your Stereo to one with Digital hdmi inputs to work with HDMI only devices. The Digital coax on your Blue-ray is a digital signal, and even if it will physically plug in, it will not work since it needs to be converted from digital to analog. Your current receiver does not support any digital sources.

On a side note, your Turntable must have a built in preamp for it to work correctly with the stereo, or is it really really quiet when you listen to it?

good luck

tonylarson

Estimable
Jan 12, 2016
Awesome, thanks. Well, on the turntable, it's actually going through a mixer before it hits the receiver, but I don't think that mixer has a built in preamp? I don't have problems with it being quiet, however?

Sounds like upgrading to a new receiver is the way to go. Looking for a good excuse to do that anyway ;)

Thanks!

mymutter

Estimable
Dec 23, 2014
No problem. Most mixers do have the preamps built in, which is why it has a ground point for your phonograph. The Sony is a decent piece of hardware, so repurpose it somewhere!