Problems with Soundmax Driver Detection

brybond1989

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
Hey guys,

I am running into a problem with my sound driver, Soundmax. Recently it developed a bug where randomly when I went to play an audio or movie file (online or files off my computer) the file would play at an extremely fast speed, thus all I would hear was a bunch of static and see my video distort. I ran a few programs to see if I could fix the problem (Add-Aware, Spybot, AVG) and eventually defragmented my hard drive and ran scan disk. Nothing changed. I (foolishly) decided to see if Microsoft could fix the problem on its own. I went to "Add/Remove Program" and clicked "change" for the Soundmax icon. The repair process completely deleted my Soundmax program. I have tried several times to reinstall it, but each time I get the message "driver not detected, restart and try again." The end result is that I have no sound driver, or sound, at all.

The only thing I can think of for why this happened is that I purchased a headphone/microphone headset around the time that all these problems started, but I am clueless to the relationship between the two.

Here are my computer specs:
E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor

ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP Socket T (LGA 775)

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive – OEM

My OS is XP pro (with SP2 and all the updates)

Thanks for the help,
Bryant