Professionally remove malware.

dogman_1234

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
Hello THG,

Here is my question: I understand that many individuals obtain malware at some point or another. Many of us are prepared somewhat, others; not so much.

I have heard that some members here make extra cash by removing malware and installing security suites like MBAM.

I was wondering how I could go about helping people remove/fight/prevent malware at a professional level while making some extra change.

Please excuse me and my amateur and naive attitude. this is a general question with open options. I may consider things, some may not go well. I will try to be flexible.

Thank You.

dogman_1234

dogman_1234

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
Cannot access the site.

Anyways.

So, are these the tools guy at computer shops use to removal all malware from a system? mind you, I will charge a service. I do not want to be sued if someone uses my services and get spyware and is a victim of identity theft.

Ijack

Distinguished
Of course you can be held acountable if you damage a PC that someone has paid you to repair. In your example the guard is the equivalent of anti-virus software, not someone who actively removes files from a PC.

A better example would be the courier who transports gold bullion from one bank to another. Are they liable if they lose that gold bullion in transit? Of course they are, and they will have insurance to guard against that liability.

You can always take the chance if you want; I wouldn't recommend it.

dogman_1234

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
@ijack: should I talk to a lawyer and see if they are willing to write up a disclosure and liability contract? Liability insurance will have to go through a corporation, and I do not have the money time and tax resources to do such thing. This is for extra cash in my pocket as well as providing a service in my local community.

Ijack

Distinguished
Have a look at http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_do_i_set_up_a_computer_repair_business.html , which discusses this problem.

You have to bear in mind the possibility of physically damaging the computer as well - say you dropped it, for example. I don't believe that would be covered by such a waiver. On the other hand if you feel that is a remote possibility (e.g. you don't foresee actually physically handling the goods) then you can probably ignore that possibility.

I am not a lawyer - if you have access to a tame (or cheap one) it might be an idea to clarify what your liability would be. I guess it varies from country to country. Better that than finding out the hard way!

dogman_1234

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
He makes a good point.

If I am to remove malware, reformat a rive, and/or install anything or remove anything, they must back up ALL data, sign-date and acknowledge a waiver to allow me to utilize my resources.

Also, I could be sued for stupid things too.

Let us say that I work on their computer. A week later, their house burns down. they can sue me for damages because I caused the fire! Really, no. i did not cause it, start it or have anything to do with it. Let the fire marshal tell us what happened based on the evidence.