Program messing with microphone audio

Dilbob

Prominent
Feb 25, 2017
I have download a software on my computer and just recently my microphone seems to have stopped working. I have tried reinstalling my drivers but it doesn’t seem to be the problem. I also plugged in the mic into my phone and it works fine. In discord everyone says I’m super quiet, which I’m not normally. So I checked my mic levels and every time I talk to someone on discord it resets to 20. Should I try a fresh start or windows safe mode? I’ve already scanned for viruses and nothing has come up. I have a hyperX cloud I and a Realtek audio driver. Thanks!

Solution
Hold off on safe mode and restarts.

Keeo working with what you now have and do some additional research.

E.g., from within this Forum:

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/what-is-discord,review-5203.html

Perhaps an upgrade or reinstall will resolve the issue.

And look into your mic as well and the use/positioning recommendations.

Research (google) "microphone too sensitive". Many links to be found and you can change the search words to narrow down the search results as necessary for your situation.

Dilbob

Prominent
Feb 25, 2017

I was downloading software that would convert spotify playlists to MP3 format, for example "Sidify and MP3 to go" I'm not sure how trustworthy these are and I've uninstalled them and ran malwarebytes and there were no viruses.

Right click the small speaker icon usually located in the lower right screen corner.

Go into the mixer, Playback devices, and Recording devices. Check all of the configuration settings.

Explore first and make some notes about any settings that seem unusual from what you know or would expect.

The software you downloaded may have made some change that was not reversed when you uninstalled the software.

Take your time, google to learn more as necessary.

Then try some changes but change only one thing at a time.

Dilbob

Prominent
Feb 25, 2017

I think I figured it out, my mic seems to be decently stable but discord is still a little finicky and I have to set a manual sensitivity. If none of this works should I boot into windows safe mode or do a fresh restart? Thanks for your help!

Hold off on safe mode and restarts.

Keeo working with what you now have and do some additional research.

E.g., from within this Forum:

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/what-is-discord,review-5203.html

Perhaps an upgrade or reinstall will resolve the issue.

And look into your mic as well and the use/positioning recommendations.

Research (google) "microphone too sensitive". Many links to be found and you can change the search words to narrow down the search results as necessary for your situation.

Solution