Programmer's laptop recommendation & i3 vs i5

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamdonthom

Estimable
Oct 13, 2014
Hello all, my Acer (AMD Chip) laptop burnt out few weeks ago and I am looking for a decent laptop.

I am a developer working with scripting in Ruby, Python and R; Rails, RStudio, VIM / Sublime Text, Javascript frameworks, NodeJS, Apache/Nginx, MySQL/ PostGreSQL/ MongoDB and odd other tools, technologies and languages. E.g., I recently started learning Prolog just for fun. Besides, Youtubing, watching movies and reading PDFs; some documentation using MS Word.

I was a .Net developer few years ago and I am planning to start investing in learning C# and F# again in a few months. So other technologies you may consider are Visual Studio (minimal) and MS SQL Server Management.

I wanted to keep myself on budget, and was just curious if I will be okay with i3 (4th gen) with 8GB or do I need atleast i5 with 8GB? The reasons for budget are:

My experience so far says that I should get laptop for exactly the purpose I want it to fulfill. Previously, I invested in moderately expensive laptops which degraded heavily after 4-5 (in 1 case after 3 years) and I was forced to replace them, thus not really getting their value worth. I think it is wise to invest intelligently.

I am also looking forward to invest in a good camera phone and an Android tablet so that I can move reading and writing work on that. I wanted to save money for them also. Although I won't be buying all these together but I wanted to save as much money as possible for phone and tablet as well.

I used to dual-boot but this time I am thinking of using Vagrant + Chef with Arch on Windows for my development work.

If I go for i3, will I lose performance assuming that VMs typically takes more CPU to work properly. Since I usually watch movies, youtube, play odd games (Flash like) and read/write. Development work is rather limited right now and currently I have no plans to take on big projects.

Any help/input is greatly appreciated. Also, if you can recommend any laptop in Asus, Dell, HP or Lenovo that I could look into, will be great.

P.S.: I am from India. Based on some research, I found that most retailers ship with U or V model of CPUs and not M or H. I request you to take that into account as well.

Thank you.

Viking2121

Honorable
May 9, 2012
Personally I'd get the i5, its a true quad core (their are dual core i5's). i3 is a dual core with hyper threading, its not the same thing as cores, the i3 would be outdated vary fast as everything just wants more cores for todays programming.

Status
Not open for further replies.