Project Natal Lag Will Restrict Development

Status
Not open for further replies.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
always with motion controls there are always some limits. if your looking for motion controlled games get a wii. FPS games on natal will be worse then tony hawk ride

another thing is developers are too lazy to lean to program for the PS3 so how do you think it will be different with motion controls for xbox?

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
Honestly I don't care about Natal for gaming or anything. I'd like Microsoft apply Natal as a control input for the Windows Interface, a la Minority Report. Of course, lag would still be an issue.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
I was kind of impressed by what Natal can do... but since MS is trying to keep the device less than $99 (that means that the cost of making it is probably less than $50....) with cheaper parts.... and weak chip... I am not surprised that it may be lack of power to be "lagless"

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
The tech is still a year from retail, has anyone ever beta tested anything before?

I think its a bit too early to call the winners/losers on this one.

fishyfish

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
This is going to be lame anyway. Besides, last thing I want to do during gameplay at night is to wave my limbs and jump line a drunken kangooroo.

G

Natal uses a person as input. Of course it's much faster to press a button that inputs 'move right' than for a person to do a motion 'to the right'. This just proves what I thought all along: Mr. Burton is slow >_>

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
This is something that was pointed out at E3. At that time Sony's demo seemed tighter. Still while this article is flamebait it seems (nearly) everyone realizes a lot can happen in QA, so it'll be interesting to see what the final project is.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
To everyone who says Microsoft will almost certainly improve the performance, ask yourself this, why would they open themselves up to all the criticism by showing a demo that they know is below the performance they will get out of the device?

Its more likely that someone said "Natal is just about there, time to show it off", and not "Natal is barely working right now, but won't the public still be wowed at what we've been doing with our millions of dollars?".

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
hellwig-
I think it's a valid question of if Natal is just too ambitious right now. Not that the tech's not there but can they do it and make it affordable?

Natal has more potential but I think it is a fair question. It's just too early for anyone to gloat about having a superior product when both were prototypes. Part of my job involves testing prototypes and half I test don't end up making the cut, but every one goes through hardware revisions. Maybe MS is banking on a better processor in the end unit with cheaper costs like they do with consoles, or maybe it'll be a another virtuaboy.

I do know that hardware engineers can't program their way out of a box, so if they wrote the demo's they were far from optimized. Molyneux's endevor was a better example of what a true programmer can do with hardware.

Just my take.

Status
Not open for further replies.