Projector showing "HDMI not supported" when trying to connect amazon fire tv 4k

destro__

Commendable
Sep 20, 2016
Just bought amazon fire tv 4k and trying to connect it to my projector (Epson 3500). My projector plays roku 3 and off my laptop just fine. I get a blank screen and the error message "HDMI not supported" when I try to connect the amazon fire tv 4k.

Is my projector too old or something?
Is there anything I can do to play amazon fire tv?

Also, I'm using hdmi 1.4 I believe (not 2.0)

destro__

Commendable
Sep 20, 2016
MERGED QUESTION
Question from destro__ : "Projector showing "HDMI not supported" when trying to connect amazon fire tv 4k"

Just bought amazon fire tv 4k and trying to connect it to my projector (Epson 3500). My projector plays roku 3 and off my laptop just fine. I get a blank screen and the error message "HDMI not supported" when I try to connect the amazon fire tv 4k.

Is my projector too old or something?
Is there anything I can do to play amazon fire tv?

Also, I'm using hdmi 1.4 I believe (not 2.0)

destro__

Commendable
Sep 20, 2016
Thanks for the tips - I tried setting the fireTV to 1080 - didn't work. Tried setting it to 720, still didn't work. Tried turning the projector on first then the fire tv. Tried turning firetv on then projector - none worked.

any other ideas? Worried I may have to return it. Makes no sense why it wouldn't work though. I plug in roku3 and my laptop and play blu ray movies on it all the time

budwich

Honorable
Oct 30, 2015
got a friend... :) try it with their tv to make sure the box is working correctly.

As for your "1.4 hdmi".... I think the box has to follow hdmi 2.0 for 4k (although possibly 1.4 has enough bandwidth) so that is likely its interface level.... which might be an issue for lower level versioned equipment... shouldn't be as was said hdmi especially across platforms can have issues as not all manufacturers / designers implement everything in the spec.

You might want wonder thru this forum thread to see if there is more...
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/2139554-official-amazon-fire-tv-2015-uhd-4k-thread.html

Further, the hdcp requirement is at 2.2 so if your equipment doesn't meet that then potentially won't work because of hdcp restrictions.

The likely work around is going thru an HDFURY box.