Proper Computer Disposal?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hexa Fox

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013
Hey guys I was hoping that this community could help me out on this topic.

I have heard many times that properly recycling/disposing of computer related equipment can come back to haunt the owner. I do not want to be one of these people. I have already done some good research, but want some real feedback here.

So I have several old computers that I would like to properly recycle. Among them are some devices that were used by several other family members and were used for a long period of time. Therefore, I do not even want to think about what kind of sensitive data could be on them.

Therefore, I have narrowed it down to two different options I was hoping you guys could help me figure out.

1.) Purge
If I find some reputable software I could consider trying to completely erase the contents of the hard disk drives. This would allow me to bring the entire computer into a location to be properly recycled. However, I understand this method is good, but not 100% full proof. This I do not like.

2.) Destroy
I could remove the hard drive and destroy the disk. Then throw what is left in my metal scrap pile and make a one cent profit off it later. Then take the computers to the location to be properly recycled minus the hard drives.

To make a long story short I am opting more for destroying them (HDD's) than anything. I do not know how much you guys keep up with the latest trends, but I constantly hear of places like Best Buy snooping through contents of devices that are being repaired/recycled. It sucks @$$ that we cannot recycle electronics without having to worry about some @$$ snooping through our personal lives. It is no wonder so much of these components end up in a landfill rather than recycling centers.

Solution
The computer itself without the storage, can either be recycled, or possibly donated. I was more focused on the protection of personal information...

Hexa Fox

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013

Yes it is definitely an option.

You are welcome to tell me where I should donate them to. However, it will have to be without the HDD's in them. I would not want to install another HDD into a device even if I formatted it and put a clean version of Windows on it or something. I just would not want to risk being held responsible for whatever was on the HDD I installed.

Because I was probably going to drop them off at my local Staples (office supplies store) and let them handle recycling them. If I can donate them to someone that might be interested in replacing the HDD for something like a youth program I would be more than happy to.

JordanMihailov

Commendable
Dec 12, 2016

If you physically destroy hdd you won't need to be concerned anymore.