LoneRangerS

Estimable
Jun 15, 2014
The last hand-held system i had was the PSP 3000 and didn't really take to it. I'm now considering getting myself a Vita just for when i can't be bothered to play on my PS4 or PC... Now, the reason i'm hesitant is i don't see many games for it that i would really like, but then i'd still use it as a tablet sort of thing; internet browsing; video streaming etc.
Another thing, Remote play with my PS4, does that mean i could 'remote play' my PS4 games such as Battlefield 4 on my Vita? In a sense playing them on my hand-held? And what exactly is the range on the remote play.
If anyone out there has/does own a Vita, give a guy some advice? Thanks in advance.

Solution

Your answer is slightly confusing as he specified he already has a PC and PS4 and wanted the Vita for times when he "can't be bothered to play on my PS4 or PC" which I read as casually in a chair, or perhaps in bed.

And whether it's "worth it" is completely up...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_Play
The PS4 is doing all the processing, and the Vita acts as the screen and input device.

NVidia Shield is a similar device. If you have to choose between the Shield and PS4 do some more research but also consider which you use more (PC or PS4). If you have a half decent gaming PC then Steam games tend to be cheaper and there's way, way more of them including great $5 or $10 game sales.

The Shield needs an NVidia GTX650 or better I believe (no AMD cards).

*The upcoming SHIELD 2 is looking interesting though it's mainly rumor at this point. The screen size and resolution is very important.

NVidia SHield is 1280x720 on a 5" screen and that is the MINIMUM that I could stand personally. I forget the Vita specs though I think they're lower, though many people like it just fine:
http://www.vg247.com/2014/02/03/ps-vita-slim-what-a-difference-a-screen-makes/

The NVidia Shield is speculated to be 5" still and slightly higher resolution than 1280x720. No release date. Probably $250. Maybe the new K1 processor. Some confusion as there's a Shield TABLET launching.

The NVidia Shield 1/2 also play standalone games and media via the onboard SoC not just streaming (like a Tablet or Phone).

I do like the Clamshell approach as you can flip down the lid and protect it easily. If I was going to game this way I'd wait for the NVidia 2.

(I forgot to mention the VITA can seamlessly start/stop the same game between Vita and PS4)

Anyway, a bit confusing I know but maybe it will help.

Praveen926

Estimable
Mar 31, 2014
PS vita is not worth for money in this generation.Everyone wants to get a PC or PS4 or XB1 ...If you really like playing on it and if you have experienced before playing in it,it would be good for u....So that depends on your interest.If you have a good budget then you can have many games too with a 64gb memory card so that it holds many games....So better buy it if you like it.You can play all the games in it.....if my answer helped you,please select it as BEST SOLUTION

Your answer is slightly confusing as he specified he already has a PC and PS4 and wanted the Vita for times when he "can't be bothered to play on my PS4 or PC" which I read as casually in a chair, or perhaps in bed.

And whether it's "worth it" is completely up to him. I don't even own a cellphone as I don't think it's "worth it" but most of the world disagrees with me.

So his best option there is either the Vita or NVidia Shield depending on whether he wants to stream locally to the PS4 or PC. There are Pros and Cons to both methods. The PS4/Vita approach is fairly seamless and I assume with the PS4 on stanby he could start up a game right from the Vita, but the screen is smaller with less resolution.

The NVidia solution isn't quite as seamless but works fairly well. The specs are a little nicer though hopefully rumors of a better NVidia Shield are true...

Anyway, with the above advice he can look at other reviews than what I linked for both products and make up his mind.

Other:
Just FYI, but I have an illness so I spend a lot of time in bed. I'm definitely thinking about the NVidia Shield 2 if that pans out just to stream with my PC that's ten feet away, and take with me on trips (though remotely I'd use the Android OS not the streaming. You CAN use streaming outside the house though there'd be lag and I wouldn't want to pay for a connection either as I guess it would require 4G.

Solution

LoneRangerS

Estimable
Jun 15, 2014

Spot on. Wanted a system for sitting in my chair watching TV, laying in bed, lunch times out at college etc. I've decided to go with the new Nvidia Shield Tablet, comes out on Thursday in the UK :D