PS3 Slim Made Faster With Firmware 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtemple

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
The last speed test was between PS3 Slim running 2.76 and PS3 Fat running 2.80. That was an unfair comparison. The loading time difference on Batman Arkham Asylum between the slim and the fat was due to the slim not playing the intro clip that displays "Playstation 3" on the screen. My fat, running 3.00, does not display that screen when you start a game, meaning it has identical loading time to a slim for games.
The fat was 7 seconds faster loading a blu-ray movie.
So far, the slim has proven to be equal or slower in everything, but I'm not complaining since the system has a lot lower power consumption and price. I do, however, thoroughly enjoy playing emulated games on my Linux partition using my Dualshock3 thru bluetooth - something a slim can never do.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
sometimes load times and reading to different DVD media comes down to the DVD reader. If Sony is anything like Dell they may may use 2 or 3 different manufacturers for their drives. Some drives just suck, others are not to bad, and some depend on what media or firmware they have loaded as to how they will perform.

G

Who gives a crap, compare PS3 3 to PS3 Slim 3 and be done.

-Dan

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]ravenware[/nom]....don't care. The constant reporting on the slim is getting a little silly.[/citation][citation][nom]3dan@dancom[/nom]Who gives a crap, compare PS3 3 to PS3 Slim 3 and be done.-Dan[/citation]I concur with these guys. Also, a power consumption comparison between all PS3 models using the new firmware would be nice.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
I can't complain about load times. When I toss in Modern Warfare on my porky PS3, I'm online and playing in no time. I don't care if it takes a few more seconds, like the other guy said, I can go grab a beer while I'm waiting.

As for price, I got my $399 PS3 for $269 shipped with the Sony Playstation credit card promotion last December.

10tacle

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
I noticed absolutely zero difference with this update on my big brick 60GB PS3. And if you *really* want faster load times and already have a PS3, upgrade to a 7200rpm drive - something in the works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.