PS3 Slim More Power Efficient Than Advertised

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
As much improved the PS3 Slim is in terms of power usage, it still pales in comparison to standalone Blu-ray Disc players, which use nearly a quarter of the power as the newer console.
Stand alone BD players cost ~ the same AND they can't play games :p

qwertymac93

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
calculators use less then 1/100th the power of a laptop, but that means nothing does it? my point, don't compare the ps3 to a blu-ray player, no one ever did the same with the ps2 and a dvd player did they?

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
Awesome, maybe I can afford to turn on my fridge this month! Seriously though, I have noticed a huge increase in my electricity bill since I got my PS3 in dec 2006

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
I thought it was widely known that the 2nd gen one (the one missing backwards compatibility) used alot less power than the original.

[citation][nom]JofaMang[/nom]Awesome, maybe I can afford to turn on my fridge this month! Seriously though, I have noticed a huge increase in my electricity bill since I got my PS3 in dec 2006[/citation]

wtf? were you like not using a computer? or a tv? or lights? before you got your ps3? it should only use the same amount of power as 2 or 3 light bulbs.

however this is why i never left mine on 24/7 doing folding@home, if you did that you would certainly notice the difference

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]gekko668[/nom]So does this mean that the Ps3 slim is considers a green machine?[/citation]
Video games are never green machines you want to go green go play outside

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]qwertymac93[/nom]calculators use less then 1/100th the power of a laptop, but that means nothing does it? my point, don't compare the ps3 to a blu-ray player, no one ever did the same with the ps2 and a dvd player did they?[/citation]

Yeah they did. All the time. That was a selling point of the device, it doubled as a DVD player. It was a MAJOR selling point.

Duesouth

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
let me just removed a lot of coll features that the original had and then the second version, oh and wait now a third version with even less features then when it first came out with. of course let me just remove the backwards ps2 compatibly hardware, less 5 to 10 watts, let me just remove 2 usb ports on it to limit it to 2 instead of 4, oh wait the card reader that it had, remove that too, oh and wait the operating simulator for Linux to be install on it. remove that too. so now this awesome machine is a less of a less of a less of a ps3 the ultimate gaming console suppose to be when it first came out... well now that I have remove lots of hardware in it, it is now more efficient. it is like a car, remove that air conditioner belt, oh this car is now more fuel efficient. remove the power steering belt too. wow I am now getting even more fuel efficiency out of my car. wait lets remove that big 8 cylinder and install a 6 cylinder. wow I am getting lots out of the same car. daa less weight...

the less and the less hardware it has the less power it will consume and of course their will always be new cpu and gpu manufacture to consume less power and to be more efficient. good old 454ss block vs my 3 cylinder smart car. hmmm 500hp vs 70 hp. wow I am saving 400 to 600 dollars of gas a month now with this small car that is only costing me 100 a month to roll around town. lets see how this faces a suv in a crash. hmm well anyways off topic. you get my drift. 5 ton car vs a not even a 1.5 ton car. well enough said .

the new ps3 is less of a less of a less of the original ps3. power electricity is like 5.6 per kilowatts here so I am going to toss my good old fatty ps3 to save on power. hell no what a wasteful society we live in. oh ya... consume consume consume, fast food fast food. that is our life now a days. the faster it is the better really??? not. enjoy life take care. take my advice keep or buy the good old fatty since you are getting more bucks out of it for your bang.

enjoy life my friends

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Yeah because I need four USB ports on my PS3. That is more than most laptops. I don't need any card readers because, once again,it is a PS3. I also have no use for the emotion engine or the graphics engine as I bought a PS3 to play PS3 games not 9 year old PS2 games.

fonzy

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
So how many Wats does the PS3 slim consume on average?34% less than the original but how many Wats did the original PS3 consume?

Caffeinecarl

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
It's all rubbish if they're stripping out USEFUL features like the PS2 emotion engine, card reader, etc... just to add a little extra hard drive space and drop a little weight from the machine. Better to think of the PS3 as more of an entertainment system rather than merely a video game system with all it really can do. That's all added value!

If I get a PS3 at all, I'm getting the original 60 GB on ebay somewhere, and if I need more hard drive space, I'll install a 256 GB SSD for REAL speed.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]qwertymac93[/nom]calculators use less then 1/100th the power of a laptop, but that means nothing does it? my point, don't compare the ps3 to a blu-ray player, no one ever did the same with the ps2 and a dvd player did they?[/citation]
People buy PS3 to servly only as a Blue-Ray player, so it's a valid point.

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
I read in a Tomshardware article back in the early days of the PS3 that it consumes 300W when active and a few 10's of Watts when powered off.

o0RaidR0o

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
Wow!, comparing the PS3 to a standalone BR player...LOL! BR players are still expensive when compared to the PS3's multiple functionality. Standalone BR players only have one compatibility they can play regular DVD's and no other format (maybe some can play mp3's). The PS3 on the other hand can play games, DVD's, mp3's, avi's, etc. And also have 5.1DD audio, and HDMI for the same price if not cheaper.

kikireeki

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Who gives a cr** about PS3 efficiency? People want new games that show the potentials of these blabla chips not another stupid eco-green campaign.

Status
Not open for further replies.