PS3 to be Backwards Compatible Again Thanks to Gaikai?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
Sony should let you register your old PS1 and PS2 games, then download them off the store for a small transaction fee, like $.50-$.99.

However, I still have my PS2, so I won't complain about it.

gamerk316

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
PCSX2 works for like 80% of the PS2 library now, though some games [ESPN 2k5] don't work well yet.

And BTW, PCSX Reloaded is better then Epsxe these days.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]they don;t have every PS1 and PS2 game for download so what happens if you want to play a game other then a final fantasy or resident evil game?[/citation]

Get an emulator like everyone else does I guess. This is the first point where PSN/Suite and Nintendo's VC fail. People don't just want to play a few classics, they want the entire library, they want to decide their own classics. When you can't provide a large amount of the titles, people turn to emulation, and when they're already emulating it they might as well emulate the ones you ARE selling.

This really isn't good news to me. Like OnLive/Gaikai's service or not, they're providing a unique service. An independent provider getting swallowed up by large corporate Sony is not going to provide innovation for the customer.

Don't get your hopes up for a full library of PS2 titles. Realistically they already don't offer a full library of PS1 titles, and those are easily emulated. They just want another feature they can pretend to support. "Now ps3 can stream games to you through PSN....current titles inclucde Crash Bandicoot and....well just Crash Bandicoot."

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
Alright Sony, lets take it one step further than just game streaming:
Every game, movie and song that you guys have in your vast collection of IP should go on this service. Charge us $20/mo for this service, and give us 1/2 off for a year or two if we purchase and register a Sony device. Many of us would jump all over that in a heartbeat! And it would give a huge value for purchasing Sony brand hardware.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
[citation][nom]kinggraves[/nom]Don't get your hopes up for a full library of PS2 titles. Realistically they already don't offer a full library of PS1 titles, and those are easily emulated[/citation]
Keep in mind that Sony does not own the rights to all of the games that they are distributors for. Many times a game does not show up on these types of services because the people who do own the IP are either out of business, or the IP is split among a large group of people who cannot make a decision, or they are simply greedy and do not want the deal that Sony is willing to give them to resurrect their work. Others simply do not want to be bothered supporting an old game, no matter how 'easy' it would be to do. But then again, you are right that sometimes Sony thinks that a game would sell poorly, and it simply gets buried forever unless the developer wants to pay for it.

christarp

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
Well, I have the original fat 20gb (with a 160gb hdd in it) that plays ps2 games natively... Why sony removed it, I don't know.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
[citation][nom]christarp[/nom]Well, I have the original fat 20gb (with a 160gb hdd in it) that plays ps2 games natively... Why sony removed it, I don't know.[/citation]

They removed it because the PS3 was really expensive and they had to cut costs. Honestly, probably about 80% of the people buying a PS3 didn't care about the backwards compatibility, so it was a better idea to cut it to trim cost off the system so they could lower the price.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]kawininjazx[/nom]Sony should let you register your old PS1 and PS2 games, then download them off the store for a small transaction fee, like $.50-$.99. However, I still have my PS2, so I won't complain about it.[/citation]
One-time "Hosting fee" per game, same price. But, users pay to have their "saved data" hosted, not the actual games. I don't agree with having to pay for having the game itself hosted unless it allows you to save your data, since otherwise each game itself can be considered shared data. Storage space isn't that expensive anymore.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
This is kinda like the article on the iPad running Windows 7, isn't it? Just to attract readers.

FFS, IT'S NOT RUNNING ANYTHING!

Streaming is one thing, "backwords compatibile" is another.

christarp

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
[citation][nom]kawininjazx[/nom]They removed it because the PS3 was really expensive and they had to cut costs. Honestly, probably about 80% of the people buying a PS3 didn't care about the backwards compatibility, so it was a better idea to cut it to trim cost off the system so they could lower the price.[/citation]

That makes a lot of sense really. I'm glad I can still play a lot of my ps2 games though, my ps2 died not too long ago and now I can play final fantasy x again woo.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I have the original 60GB PS3, no issues here.
I'm waiting for SSD's to drop their prices enough to upgrade my PS3 original 60 GB hard drive with a 120-160 SSD (depending of when I finally do this).

I think it should (a) load games faster and (b) minimize the heat.
(although I believe that most of the heat is related to the optical drive, not certain on this one)

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
Streaming, meaning that you don't actually own the game. Now if they put up a lot of the PS2 library, it would indeed be awesome.
[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]Alright Sony, lets take it one step further than just game streaming:Every game, movie and song that you guys have in your vast collection of IP should go on this service. Charge us $20/mo for this service, and give us 1/2 off for a year or two if we purchase and register a Sony device. Many of us would jump all over that in a heartbeat! And it would give a huge value for purchasing Sony brand hardware.[/citation]That would be awesome, even though everything is streamed. They can even do it on non-PS hardware

sirencall

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
Its still not backwards compatible, no more than by adding a PS2 emulator makes my PC backwards compatible with PS1. In order for it to be accurate it has to play the game in some form when you insert the disk into your console.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]kinggraves[/nom]Get an emulator like everyone else does I guess. This is the first point where PSN/Suite and Nintendo's VC fail. People don't just want to play a few classics, they want the entire library, they want to decide their own classics. When you can't provide a large amount of the titles, people turn to emulation, and when they're already emulating it they might as well emulate the ones you ARE selling.This really isn't good news to me. Like OnLive/Gaikai's service or not, they're providing a unique service. An independent provider getting swallowed up by large corporate Sony is not going to provide innovation for the customer.Don't get your hopes up for a full library of PS2 titles. Realistically they already don't offer a full library of PS1 titles, and those are easily emulated. They just want another feature they can pretend to support. "Now ps3 can stream games to you through PSN....current titles inclucde Crash Bandicoot and....well just Crash Bandicoot."[/citation]
It's really amazing to see how console companies just don't get this (i.e. nostalgia), yet Steam, GoG and other PC sites/services do. It's particularly surprising that Nintendo totally fails to get this, considering how quickly people figure out ways to mod various handhelds to play old NES and SNES games or build one from scratch. Sega does seem to understand this because you can get a bunch of old Genesis and Dreamcast games off Steam, but, they have moved away from being a hardware company.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
If I have to pay again for my PS2/PS1 just to play on PS3. Sony can buzz off, I just load my game on PCSX2 and play, PCSX2 = free

Status
Not open for further replies.