PS3's HDD Upgrade Bigger than X360's

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevertell

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
Why aren't they using ext3 or even ext4 ? Heck of a lot better filesystems than the god damn fat32, not to mention the ntfs pathetic excuse for a filesystem.

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
[citation][nom]cagonzal[/nom]What's the point of adding an external when you can just replace the hard drive?[/citation]

Because right now you can't buy a 2TB hard drive that's 2.5" notebook format. I already have 1 TB drives connected to my PS3 to store backups of the PS3 as well as downloaded video content and screen grabs of games, pictures, all kinds of content I don't want cluttering up the main HD.

donaldduck

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
[citation][nom]nevertell[/nom]Why aren't they using ext3 or even ext4 ? Heck of a lot better filesystems than the god damn fat32, not to mention the ntfs pathetic excuse for a filesystem.[/citation]
Probably because the PS3 does not support the ext fs.
While I agree that fat32 is quite outdated and unsafe and that it is about time that a new "universal" fs is implemented, ntfs is actually a quite good filesystem. Not perfect, but not bad at all.

kyzar

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
Even as a heavy linux user, have to admit that NTFS isn't too bad at all, though ext3 (and certinaly ext4) are slightly better for the heavy lifting of servers.

I didn't know there were plans to provide DVR on the PS3 - that would be real handy after I ditch Sky+ (everything I pay to watch is available on freeview...) once my year is up. Have to look into that, especially if it could record to my existing media server (Linux Debian running Mediatomb upnp media service).

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
There is nothing wrong with Fat32 filing system specially for use of Video. Not only is it safe, but it's
probably the easiest to work with, I am excited to use the new DVR feature that is comming.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
hmm...a big hard drive that only can support the FAT32 file system. this drive is basically useless but at least you can use it to backup your PS3. which may be useless anyway if you have to get a new one or anything replaced in your PS3 because the backups will be useless.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
The PS3 has always supported larger hard drive upgrades than the 360 under warranty...

Sony probably saw an opportunity to take advantage of a situation with its DVR release soon. I hope these hard drives don't make it to the states so I don't have to hear "But that hard drive isn't licensed by Sony for the PS3. You need this [$X more expensive] official hard drive" next time I go to Best Buy.

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
So can I actually back up my games and save files now? Because there are a few games that make that difficult as hell especially the newer ones.

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
^+1 for JohnnyLucky

Really though, it seems like they want the PS3 to double as a clunky DVR/media PC. Too bad the new version can no longer support an OS like Linux. An interesting bonus for PS3 owners I guess, but I can't imagine it will be too big of a selling point.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Fat32's big issue: no files larger than 4GB.

Not a huge deal for a game console (yet), but for PC's it's a problem (Outlook .pst files and DVD .iso files often grow larger than 4GB).

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]bourgeoisdude[/nom]Fat32's big issue: no files larger than 4GB.Not a huge deal for a game console (yet), but for PC's it's a problem (Outlook .pst files and DVD .iso files often grow larger than 4GB).[/citation]

and that issue is what makes me curious of how they are going to make the drive work with the PVR. if you have that 4GB limit then you would not be able to record past 4 hours unless they are going to use some special compression

mikepaul

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
Boy, I wish Microsoft would allow even some network backup software to be used on the 360, let alone external storage. Right now, your game save die when your HD dies. Sony seems rather cavalier in the area of possible piracy, while Microsoft does what it can so nobody does anything evil, not even altering game saves to get free Achievements. I find their valor quite annoying...

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
I already have mine connected to an external 170GB HDD. That should do... if not I can always get a bigger one and put it in my external HDD enclosure OR install a bigger one (I have the original 60gb built in)

FSXFan

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]There is nothing wrong with Fat32 filing system specially for use of Video.[/citation]
Except that you can't store files larger than 4GB. A lot of my HD movies are larger than 4GB. It isn't too big of a deal to me since I store my stuff on a PC and stream it to the PS3, but my Dad uses an external HDD with his so he's limited to 4GB.

If Sony can keep the licensed drive at a competitive cost compared to other external drives (unlike xbox) then great, it might help them to make some money finally. Otherwise, with so many other cheap options for additional storage, it seems like a waste of time to license a HDD in the first place.

festerovic

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
@captaincharisma- re 4GB limit
The files are seamless when played back. Even DVDs have their files broken into 1 Gb chunks, and they don't falter when played back.

I agree with others that the 4gb max file size is lame and annoying when you use the PS3 for media. Isn't FAT32 faster than other file systems? And isn't it free?

BTW can't wait for the PVR thingy, too bad it has a stupid name.

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
[citation][nom]cagonzal[/nom]What's the point of adding an external when you can just replace the hard drive?[/citation]

Backing up the internal.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]bourgeoisdude[/nom]Fat32's big issue: no files larger than 4GB.Not a huge deal for a game console (yet), but for PC's it's a problem (Outlook .pst files and DVD .iso files often grow larger than 4GB).[/citation]
If you have PST files larger then 1.5-2 gig you are in trouble as they become corrupt around 2gig. Believe me i have seen it happen at least ten times. I tell all our users 1.5gig tops...create a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS