News PS5 is on sale now — here’s how to buy one

Nov 12, 2020
What's the point in trying to get it from Walmart because once you put it in your cart and trying to check out, it kicks you out. Once you refresh you see that you have the Playstation 5 in the cart and you hit check out and it tell you that the item is sold out. I've tried three times now and you would like that if you have an item in your cart then your good your not. Walmart is giving us false hope. :mad:A waste of time:mad:

Walmart and all online retailers have to worry about people who place items in their cart and then do not check out. It's unfair to allow someone to hold an item in their cart for an extended period of time. Because of this, online retailers will show items in stock until the last one has been checked out and the payment method has been approved.

Show Out of Stock when the last one is added to a cart:
This allows me to add one to my cart and hold it until I can get the price I want for it. I can hold it for minutes, hours, or even days. Meanwhile hundreds, if not thousands, of people come to the site only to see the item is sold out. Meanwhile, bidding my my EBay auction has driven the price up to several thousand dollars. When the bidding ends, I find that the winning bidder has no intention of actually paying for the item. So for a week now, this item has been sitting in limbo in my cart while hundreds or thousands of people have passed by their site because they were (out of stock). Of course, not being able or willing to pay for it myself, now I have to delete it from my cart.

Show Out of Stock when the last one is Payment Confirmed:
This allows multiple people to add the item to their carts, but if there are only 10 in stock, only the first ten to have their payment information confirmed we have their check out confirmed. All others will get an an Out of Stock message when they try to check out. While this method does not help with scalpers using bots, it does confirm the item is truly out of stock

There is no solution to this conundrum, aside from providing a unit for every person on the planet. The second method has been deemed by various (most?) online retailers as the most fair. People can yell, scream, and complain all they want, but a better action would be patience. Quit worrying about getting one on release day and wait until there is sufficient stock to get one without it suddenly going out of stock while it's in your shopping cart.

-Wolf sends

Nov 12, 2020
I just tried for a fourth time. Had it in my cart and checked out immediately made it to the payment page, and was kicked out and was told that it was sold out within 4 min. And it's wasn't setting for hours, just disappointed in Walmart.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 13, 2020
I believe the problem is scammers and scalpers using automated software/bots to order consoles. I've seen evidence on Twitter that suggests PRISMAIO is one program being used, specifically at Walmart. These scalpers are buying stock as soon as it is available and reselling it on eBay at 200% to 500% mark up. Some are even selling pre-orders that they don't physically have yet. These bots are so fast, that it is impossible for anyone else to purchase using a store's website.

Nov 13, 2020
Walmart and all online retailers have to worry about people who place items in their cart and then do not check out. It's unfair to allow someone to hold an item in their cart for an extended period of time. Because of this, online retailers will show items in stock until the last one has been checked out and the payment method has been approved.

Show Out of Stock when the last one is added to a cart:
This allows me to add one to my cart and hold it until I can get the price I want for it. I can hold it for minutes, hours, or even days. Meanwhile hundreds, if not thousands, of people come to the site only to see the item is sold out. Meanwhile, bidding my my EBay auction has driven the price up to several thousand dollars. When the bidding ends, I find that the winning bidder has no intention of actually paying for the item. So for a week now, this item has been sitting in limbo in my cart while hundreds or thousands of people have passed by their site because they were (out of stock). Of course, not being able or willing to pay for it myself, now I have to delete it from my cart.

Show Out of Stock when the last one is Payment Confirmed:
This allows multiple people to add the item to their carts, but if there are only 10 in stock, only the first ten to have their payment information confirmed we have their check out confirmed. All others will get an an Out of Stock message when they try to check out. While this method does not help with scalpers using bots, it does confirm the item is truly out of stock

There is no solution to this conundrum, aside from providing a unit for every person on the planet. The second method has been deemed by various (most?) online retailers as the most fair. People can yell, scream, and complain all they want, but a better action would be patience. Quit worrying about getting one on release day and wait until there is sufficient stock to get one without it suddenly going out of stock while it's in your shopping cart.

-Wolf sends
What are you talking about? Ticketmaster (or any other ticket seller) and airlines already use a system that handles this exact problem. When you need to sell a high-demand, limited stock item you set a time limit on the cart. Simple...done.

Ticketmaster has some standby message if they are technically out of stock, but all payments have not been confirmed yet. Once all payments are confirmed, they say "sold out". You should not be able to add it to your cart if you cannot buy it. It creates a false expectation and makes people mad... which is why you're writing your whole comment in the first place (to respond to those mad people).

Walmart, or any of the other companies, makes hundreds of billions of dollars in revenue each year... they don't need somebody apologizing for them (are you getting paid, or just like to feel superior?)

People being mad at this experience is purely the fault of Walmart (or Costco, or whatever big company). They didn't change over their system to the ticketmaster model (timed cart) cause it would probably cost a bit, and it's not a problem they face too often. So, making a few people mad is acceptable in their view. I am not saying they're wrong, I get why they wouldn't make the change. However, apologizing for them and giving senseless reasons why it's not possible doesn't help anything.

1. No. I do not work for Walmart or any online store. I am not a paid shill
  2. Ticketmaster is a poor comparison/model because they more often deal with hundreds, if not tens of thousands, of tickets whereas online retailers in these instances (CPU/GPU releases) are often dealing with only a dozen or so products.
  3. I wasn't writing an apology. I was simply stating how I view the situation. You are free to disagree.
  4. If you or anyone else feels that strongly about it, feel free to contact your online retailer of choice and request information as to WHY they do it the way they do and not they way Ticketmaster does.

-Wolf sends