Review PS5 review: A true generational leap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 21, 2020
Meh, had my ps5 for about 2 weeks. Disappointed that it no longer supports legacy 3d games or movies & doesn’t support dolby vision. So I bought a psvr setup to make up for the loss of 3d but now waiting for the rare-as-hens teeth adapter because they didnt build the ps4 camera connector into the ps5. And no, the new ps5 camera doesnt support psvr. Thanks, Sony.

I suppose its generally faster than a ps4 but not that much. Lots of talk about ray tracing & 4k & faster frame rates but it looks like it still cant optimize these things simultaneously. So really just an incremental improvement, no real quantum improvements. For gaming, 4k just isn’t that much better than standard hd to me. Personally, I cant imagine 8k taking off for 20 years. I have to say that the new home screen/menu gui is kind of a junkyard tbh, so no points there. Plus, its just a lot bigger & more awkward than I imagined. Im still not sure where to put it.

Id say just buy a lightly used ps4 and spend your money on new games or a bigger tv.

Jan 19, 2021
Meh, had my ps5 for about 2 weeks. Disappointed that it no longer supports legacy 3d games or movies & doesn’t support dolby vision. So I bought a psvr setup to make up for the loss of 3d but now waiting for the rare-as-hens teeth adapter because they didnt build the ps4 camera connector into the ps5. And no, the new ps5 camera doesnt support psvr. Thanks, Sony.

I suppose its generally faster than a ps4 but not that much. Lots of talk about ray tracing & 4k & faster frame rates but it looks like it still cant optimize these things simultaneously. So really just an incremental improvement, no real quantum improvements. For gaming, 4k just isn’t that much better than standard hd to me. Personally, I cant imagine 8k taking off for 20 years. I have to say that the new home screen/menu gui is kind of a junkyard tbh, so no points there. Plus, its just a lot bigger & more awkward than I imagined. Im still not sure where to put it.

Id say just buy a lightly used ps4 and spend your money on new games or a bigger tv.
What games did you play, since it is likely that the game was not made for ps5 and the developers didn't make loading improvements for the new generation. Btw the ps5 doesn't upgrade the games you had on ps4 and that may be the reason you didn't see much difference in the graphics.

Dec 21, 2020
I‘v played IronMan VR, PlayroomVR, GTSport, Star Wars Squadrons, and Farpoint. The VR games are interesting but I cant play for more than 20 minutes without getting motion sickness. Actually, I cant play iron man(vr) at all without falling down.
Regarding games on the big screen, I just can’t imagine the difference between 4k and standard HD will be a game changer. It makes for slightly nicer TV viewing but nothing like the quantum leap from regular HD to 3D was. Admittedly, there were some pretty bad implementations of 3d early on but my 65” lg OLED is great in most 3d movies.
I also dont reallysee the big deal about the controllers either. The old one had decent tactile feedback. I guess Ill have to wait and see what more modern games do with them.
like I said, I think Id stick with PS4 for the next 2-3 years and wait for whatever a ps6 turns out to be. PS5 just doesnt seem like a must have to me, I wish I had saved my money tbh.

Jun 28, 2023

I was late to the party because I suspected how bad it would be. I grabbed an Xbox Series X when it came out and then a Nintendo Switch for Zelda games. I finally broke down and added the PS5, and I can tell you it will be the last console I ever buy from Sony at least. It's a wreck on almost every level except the controller itself. They slimmed down the Xbox controller, added soft material to do, and comfortable buttons, and I can honestly say, if I had it to do over again, I'd have just gerry-rigged a PS5 controller to my already much better PC gaming setting.

This console isn't sufficient as either a console or a replacement for PC gaming. It has half the specs of a real PC gaming set-up, but to get even those specs, it created the most annoying interface on earth. It's a hulking piece of hardware that takes up too much space even outright. It's an ugly design. I could have lived with that, but I'd rank it as the worst console I've ever used. Ever, and that includes even early consoles finding their way.

It's stacked with bloatware so much that my starting free space was 667 GB. When you consider that NBA 2k23 is 172 GB to download in full, that left me with a whopping 495 GB of free space, or about enough for three more modern games. Who in their right mind would buy a console with enough space for FOUR GAMES? They nixed AA batteries as an option, something Xbox was nice enough to do. The controller is a life-draining mess. It simply sat around yesterday and in three hours, lost a full bar of charging. I wasn't even playing a game with this thing.

So it's useless to store games on, something a PC does. It's useless for long gaming marathons, which a PC does. It's large like a tower but poorly designed. And its "Premium" game library that allows for cloud streaming is a joke, they want you to sign up for nearly every game you might want to casually play, and by the time I was done with my first day of the PS5, I regretted buying it. I'm mulling taking it back.

The graphics are nice, but they're still just as good as a good PC gaming rig, and the framerate is half of what you would get with that? On top of it they added an insulting video describing how to do their job and take the thing apart to add more storage. lol For what? 10 more games? It would cost another $179 just to add a memory SSD card, bringing my total so far up to $778. Why not just spring for the other 2,000 and get a real rig and then buy a monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.