News PS5 vs. Xbox Series X: Which console wins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 21, 2020
Wow what a let down. Can we get a non-Sony fanboy to write a comparison article please? Some of us are actually interested and aren’t just fanboys. You literally refused to score sections or found a way to “tie” them when it sounded like the Series X was better in your analysis. It became super clear rather immediately what the choice would be at the end due to your obvious bias. I mean, I’m getting both of them, but would still like more of a data-based comparison please. Preferably not written by a Sony (or Xbox) shill thanks.

Reactions: YodasDad

MuppetThumper

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
Wow what a let down. Can we get a non-Sony fanboy to write a comparison article please? Some of us are actually interested and aren’t just fanboys. ... Preferably not written by a Sony (or Xbox) shill thanks.

Er, I read it the other way. He scores Xbox for the win in spite of playing heavily on PS5. He rates the controllers a TIE after lambasting use of AA batteries in the Xbox (notwithstanding the total failure to recognise the innovations of the dualsense). I don't know where you get Sony fanboy from, perhaps you're a Microsoft one!

kuhne

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2013
Seems fair to me, maybe a bit on the xbox side, there's no way the controllers would be a draw, the PS5 gamepad is something else and the haptic triggers may very well become the standard for gamepads in the future.

Other than that, xbox series x clearly has better backwards compatibility and has better services while the PS5, regardless of having inferior specs is actually getting more stable framerates and faster loading times in games. A good example is Vallhalla, which was supposed to be optimized for xbox and ended up running better on ps5.

And of course you have the games/exclusives, which isn't really a competition at the moment since the xbox doesn't offer anything here of note.

I think it was fair and balanced, both consoles seem great to me.

Nov 25, 2020
No on 8K for the PS5, and it takes an image quality hit for running at 120 fps, all because of its lower bandwidth HDMI port.
"the Xbox Series X can output bandwidth of up to 40GB/s via HDMI 2.1, the PlayStation 5 is currently limited to 32GB/s. In practice, this means that when playing a game at 120 Hz, the console will have to switch to 4:2:2 chroma subsampling, while Microsoft's next-gen console is able to keep the optimal 4:4:4 format."

Nov 30, 2020
Wow what a let down. Can we get a non-Sony fanboy to write a comparison article please? Some of us are actually interested and aren’t just fanboys. You literally refused to score sections or found a way to “tie” them when it sounded like the Series X was better in your analysis. It became super clear rather immediately what the choice would be at the end due to your obvious bias. I mean, I’m getting both of them, but would still like more of a data-based comparison please. Preferably not written by a Sony (or Xbox) shill thanks.
Actually, quite the opposite. They listed out Sackboy's Big Adventure and ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart which was really hype. The games on the PS5 were definetly better than the graphics that Xbox has because they will probably look very similar with only minor differences anyway. You can't tell me Halo is gonna beat Horizon 2, Sackboy's Big Adventure, ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart and other PS4 games like Final Fantasy 7 Remake, God of War, Person 5 Royal, especially when all Xbox gets is a new shiny Halo with other playable games like Halo.I am not a Sony fanboy here, this is just logic.

Dec 9, 2020
This review was overall informative, but some of the analysis and subsequent scoring I disagree with. Subjective takes on design aesthetics are fine but that shouldn't bleed into the score, the PS5 got snubbed there. The CPU and GPU weighs in Xbox's favor more than what was ultimately scored here.

The consoles really feel like a wash either way though, just exclusives to really stand them apart. I might sit this generation out and go PC.

Reactions: Elterrible
Jan 9, 2021
Look, I want to know why the Dualsense and the Xbox controller have the same rating. The Dualsense haptic feedback feels very, very great. Wasted space? WASTED SPACE? the touchpad are essential for particular games and make typing easier. In Miles Morales u can swipe left and right to pull up the phone. The DualSense should've been rated higher

Kvally

Honorable
May 20, 2014
I am curious as to how he came to the conclusion that the PS5 has better exclusives. I have my PS5 sitting dormant since finishing up Miles Morales.

Elterrible

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2014

I didn’t think it was horrible, but the series x is clearly now winning the performance game. While the FPS might vary game to game, the Sony tends to run lower resolutions to get to where it might get a small advantage.

As for exclusives, I would say Microsoft’s acquisitions have made this a fairly level playing field.

Oct 18, 2021
The PS5 lost points in Design just so that Xbox could take the win. In an unbiased review, they would receive the same number of points for design, because it is up to one's preferences (I prefer PS5's design, the Xbox is a huge black block, there is no actual design to speak of, but it is perfectly fine to like it more). I also do not understand how and why they received the same number of points for controller. The DualSense is chock full of innovations (haptic feedback, adaptive triggers, etc.) and the author actually points this out, while Microsoft did not even bother to include an inbuilt battery, and they are still using AAA batteries like a plastic toy from the 90s. If anything, what they should be equal in is performance (PS5 has faster load times thanks to the much faster SSD, but the Xbox has slightly higher raw computing power, so none of them has a clear edge).

So an unbiased head-to-head would be something like (PS5-Xbox)

Price: 8 -8
Games: 18 - 16 (again, the Xbox does not deserve a 15, what games you enjoy is more a preference than a fact of life)
Performance: 13-13
Design: 8 - 8 (whatever you prefer, really)
Controller 9 - 7
Backwards Compatibility 7 - 9
Cloud Gaming 3 - 3
Total: 66 - 64

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 18, 2021
I am curious as to how he came to the conclusion that the PS5 has better exclusives. I have my PS5 sitting dormant since finishing up Miles Morales.

Your mileage may vary. Returnal and Demons souls are both amazing, Miles Morales also seems good, but Xbox does not currently have a single exclusive I'm even remotely interested in. STALKER 2 will probably be the first, and if the prices go down a bit, I might even consider getting one just to play it.

Dec 10, 2021
The PS5 lost points in Design just so that Xbox could take the win. In an unbiased review, they would receive the same number of points for design, because it is up to one's preferences (I prefer PS5's design, the Xbox is a huge black block, there is no actual design to speak of, but it is perfectly fine to like it more). I also do not understand how and why they received the same number of points for controller. The DualSense is chock full of innovations (haptic feedback, adaptive triggers, etc.) and the author actually points this out, while Microsoft did not even bother to include an inbuilt battery, and they are still using AAA batteries like a plastic toy from the 90s. If anything, what they should be equal in is performance (PS5 has faster load times thanks to the much faster SSD, but the Xbox has slightly higher raw computing power, so none of them has a clear edge).

So an unbiased head-to-head would be something like (PS5-Xbox)

Price: 8 -8
Games: 18 - 16 (again, the Xbox does not deserve a 15, what games you enjoy is more a preference than a fact of life)
Performance: 13-13
Design: 8 - 8 (whatever you prefer, really)
Controller 9 - 7
Backwards Compatibility 7 - 9
Cloud Gaming 3 - 3
Total: 66 - 64

I tend to agree with you. One crucial factor that is missing in most comparisons is monitor support. Xbox Series X natively supports 1440p while PS 5 does not. 1440p is a sweet spot for gaming monitors. This should easily give the Xbox a 3-points lead. Despite many requests, Sony has not implemented this feature even with its latest update. Also, neither console supports widescreen.
Monitor Support (10) 5-8
Total: 71 - 72

Dec 13, 2021
I don't really like the PS3's controller. It doesn't sit comfortably in my hand. I've played Atari, Sega Genesis and XBox. I much prefer the XBox's controller over all of them. I'm glad both machines have respectable performance specs. I wish the controllers on the Xbox X were as advanced as the PS5 with regards to haptic feedback, but I'm a hopeless Xbox fanman (too old to be a boy)

Having said that, i wouldn't get the S model if you paid me given the graphic resolution. Smaller 4K TVs are available for less than the price of the X these days.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55...v+Campaign&mpid=3139288&ref=198&skuId=6422762

inpotentia

Estimable
Aug 25, 2017
Here is a ‘weakly presented argument about the present state of play between the three ‘large’ home console players:
This is unique, most journalists miss a lot of the fundamentals, and sadly- this video doesn’t go into enough depth.
Unlike professional journos, there are no edits, no script and therefore it has ‘error’s and could hammer home a few more points (like ‘just how customised Epic made the PS5 chip to benefit Unreal Engine 5 ‘future’ capabilities)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgjf6gNBbEAImNl7BpLy45Mg7ywQGzgmn

TomsGuide was right down the middle line; this ‘playlist’ certainly is not. (but has a lot of info relevant to the actual platforms involved AND the actual gaming industry…)

Mar 7, 2022
Er, I read it the other way. He scores Xbox for the win in spite of playing heavily on PS5. He rates the controllers a TIE after lambasting use of AA batteries in the Xbox (notwithstanding the total failure to recognise the innovations of the dualsense). I don't know where you get Sony fanboy from, perhaps you're a Microsoft one!
Complete fanboy. X clearly has better specs and the ssd beiing a tad faster on ps is not enough to make it perform better at all. Games the X clearly has more compatibility there as well as it is backwards compatible. As for the controller I’d rather have a controller that stays charged for 40hrs with a couple batteries than one that charges and only lasts for 3-4 at a time. PS fails in controller department completely as well. This is a complete walk away for Xbox, the author is a fanboy and tried his best to make PS look good when it is compared to Xbox.

Mar 7, 2022
Seems fair to me, maybe a bit on the xbox side, there's no way the controllers would be a draw, the PS5 gamepad is something else and the haptic triggers may very well become the standard for gamepads in the future.

Other than that, xbox series x clearly has better backwards compatibility and has better services while the PS5, regardless of having inferior specs is actually getting more stable framerates and faster loading times in games. A good example is Vallhalla, which was supposed to be optimized for xbox and ended up running better on ps5.

And of course you have the games/exclusives, which isn't really a competition at the moment since the xbox doesn't offer anything here of note.

I think it was fair and balanced, both consoles seem great to me.
Actually exclusives are in. Box for console standpoint. No exclusives due to them being on PC as well so you cannot even say there are none. Controller means nothing when it can’t stay charged like all PS controllers ever. I’d rather buy a battery pack instead of extra controllers so I can keep playing. As for performance you seriously cannot use one game to determine the whole systems ability. X clearly beats out PS on performance. Ohh and it plays movies also.

colossusrageblack

Prominent
Jul 18, 2022
I own both, I own a PS5 disc and PS5 digital edition, as well as a Series X and two Series S'. I would say that my overall experience has probably been better on the XSX for one reason, which is the cloud saves. The PS5's cloud save feature is horrible. For example, if I play Elden Ring , save and exit or if I just shutdown or leave the console on standby, the console will not automatically save my game to the cloud, even if the feature is turned on to do so automatically. Almost without fail, if I play down stairs one day, then play upstairs another day, the old save will still be on the cloud. If the game starts up and I start it, then realize it's an older game, I have to exit, go back downstairs, upload the save to the cloud, then go back upstairs to play. It really sucks. Xbox on the other hand, is flawless. As soon as I exit the game or shutdown/standby, that save is uploaded and will load onto the other console immediately.

colossusrageblack

Prominent
Jul 18, 2022
My PS3 and some PS4 controllers no longer hold a charge, meanwhile my XBOX 360 and XBOX One controllers still work thanks to AA batteries. Build in batteries are shortsided.

Aug 12, 2022
PS5 vs Xbox Series X: Verdict
PS5Xbox Series X
Price (10)88
Games (20)1815
Performance (15)1312
Controller (10)77
Backwards compatibility (10)79
Cloud gaming (5)33
Total (70)5654

If you remove the Design rankings from the overall breakdown, the PS5 wins 56 to 54. The PS5's edge here is primarily due to its 3-point lead in the "games" category and its 1-point lead in the "performance" category.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.