News PS6 first specs leak, and Sony's sticking with AMD CPUs — here’s what we know

Feb 10, 2024
I remember before the Ps5 release we were told 4k120 and where are we at. Yet tom decides to follow up with article. I wonder what we will get.

fatalshot808

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
8K 60fps. Wow. Surely this won't be with FSR frame gen and absolute lowest settings, right? Riiight?
It's annoying companies mislead people like this. I think that's the maximum output and it's extremely misleading for the casual gamers. Reminds me of when Sony said they have a 64 bit bit Dream engine chip which was just a 32bit CPU and 32 but GPU.

Mar 7, 2023
I remember when the 3090 was advertised as the first 8K card lol. Why don't we prioritize 4K120hz or 1440p240hz or 4K60hz with higher settings first? Way more impactful and meaningful differences

Reactions: Sam Bridges

Sam Bridges

Commendable
Jan 30, 2022
No offense but Italians say: “le solite cazzate”. This is the usual BS marketing stuff like the 8K on the PS5 box.
Also, who cares about 8K gaming, seriously.
4k60 would make everybody happy already, and even that seems like a pipe dream right now.

Cheers.

Sam Bridges

Commendable
Jan 30, 2022
I remember when the 3090 was advertised as the first 8K card lol. Why don't we prioritize 4K120hz or 1440p240hz or 4K60hz with higher settings first? Way more impactful and meaningful differences
But that’s what the engineers will go for, believe you me.
The rest is dumb rumors and even dumber marketing.

Cheers mate and happy gaming.

Feb 12, 2024
Ahh, the standard HDMI output rating being used as a statement of performance.

....My cars top speed is 190mph because of the tyre rating, the fact the engine tops out at 140 is irrelevant.

Feb 12, 2024
8k at 60 my ass. A consumer grade plastic box won't even come close. Especially one powered my AMD. They aren't technically lying, but are really disingenuous. Maybe it can technically display 8k, but it will be for like video playback or a simple sidescroller. Just like they were making 8k and 120fps claims foe this gen. Yeah, they have the capacity do DISAPLAY or render at that speed or resolution, but not the actual power to do it. The PS6 will be equivalent to a budget PC build or mid spec laptop. Raytracing will still be a gimmick since it's AMD hardware, and not even top line.

Basically, you'll probably be playing game that look exactly the same as they already do, but instead of 30fps being the baseline, and some cames being 60fps+, 60fps will be the baseline, with some comes being 120fps. Or they will just set the games to PC very high/ultra or force rtx on, and make the games still only be able to do 30fps.

The fact is, you just don't get high end performance and specs in a mass market consumer product like this, with mass market appeal. If you are a PC enthusiast you've already experienced better performance and visuals 4-5 years ago. Even modern high end rigs aren't specced for 8k gaming. 8k is just a gimmick, and unless you have a huge screen, it looks no different than 4k with average levels of pixel density. Especially on gaming monitors. These consoles and their marketing prey on the less informed, using buzzwords to generate hype/sales.

Last edited: