PSP2 Will Pack More Horses Than Xbox 360

Status
Not open for further replies.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
Man, does that mean the psp2 will eat up its battery right after the greeting screen? I hope Sony read Xbox 360's specs correctly before making this statement! That would be too much power in too little device.

AMW1011

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
If you think about it, a dualcore ATOM processor would be pretty close, or even faster than the Xbox 360's processor so it isn't completely unbelievable in that aspect. The question remains, is the GPU as fast? Hard to say.

Also, you have to remember the Xbox 360 will be processing at near 720p or higher levels, where as this portable gaming device might only a have a resolution of 480x240 or something similar. That would mean that in a relative sense, the games could be more advanced.

I'm not sure what to think at this point. On one hand the Xbox 360's tech is pretty ancient and there are a lot of excellent mobile technologies coming out, but on the other, how can something like that function with any battery life at all. the PSP had 4-7 hours depending on the exact unit, the usage, and the firmware. That was still considered low.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
"If you think about it, a dualcore ATOM processor would be pretty close, or even faster than the Xbox 360's processor so it isn't completely unbelievable in that aspect. The question remains, is the GPU as fast? Hard to say."

I don't own a 360 but the 360 has a 3 core 2 threads per core. 3.2Ghz Xenon based CPU... So a dual core ATOM wouldn't come close unless it was clocked at something like 5Ghz.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenon_(processor)

ispam

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010
Who writes these articles?
Seriously when I started reading it I somehow tought it was April fool's day.

nurgletheunclean

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
Complete horsesh1t! X360 will be far more powerful than any hand held battery operated device until manufacturing processes are around 4nm, or until laptop capacity batteries can be made small enough for handhelds.

As Jonathan said. ATOM is not even close to the power of the x360 cpu.

G

I have to agree with ispam, A single core atom would most likely eat a 1ghz snapdragon cpu. the Xbox 360 has a 3.2ghz tri core powerpc cpu. If it was x86 it would proberly be as fast as one of them Amd athlon II x3 2.7ghz cpus. And yea KonathanDeane has a point ive seen a 1ghz snapdragon phone the games looked detialed for a phone but nothing like a Xbox 360 if you put it on a 55inch LCD tv even even proberly on a 22inch 1080p pc screen it will look like crap.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
[citation][nom]AMW1011[/nom]If you think about it, a dualcore ATOM processor would be pretty close, or even faster than the Xbox 360's processor so it isn't completely unbelievable in that aspect. The question remains, is the GPU as fast? Hard to say.Also, you have to remember the Xbox 360 will be processing at near 720p or higher levels, where as this portable gaming device might only a have a resolution of 480x240 or something similar. That would mean that in a relative sense, the games could be more advanced.I'm not sure what to think at this point. On one hand the Xbox 360's tech is pretty ancient and there are a lot of excellent mobile technologies coming out, but on the other, how can something like that function with any battery life at all. the PSP had 4-7 hours depending on the exact unit, the usage, and the firmware. That was still considered low.[/citation]
What are you drinking my fellow?

victorintelr

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
With a tricore and two threads per core CPU the the Xbox 360 has...and a handheld console is supposed to rival that? The RAM, maybe, but in terms of a processor...Nah! Unless the already have a deal with some aliens on extra-terrestrial technology. Then It could be. also I couldn't imagine a guy playing on that and 15 min. later (I just try to be positive) looking for an outlet to keep playing/recharge the device.

Albyint

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]April Fools Day I think not[/nom]I have to agree with ispam, A single core atom would most likely eat a 1ghz snapdragon cpu. the Xbox 360 has a 3.2ghz tri core powerpc cpu. If it was x86 it would proberly be as fast as one of them Amd athlon II x3 2.7ghz cpus. .[/citation]

I highly doubt that an xbox 360 proc is near the same speed as as Athlon 2. Its almost 5 years now, give SOME credit to technological growth -_-

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
The Xbox 360 features a 3.2 GHz CPU and 512 MB of RAM.

The Xbox 360 features a custom 64 bit "triple core" 3.2 GHz CPU and 512 MB of RAM. - There I fixed it.

The 360's CPU is capable of 96 gflops, its GPU is capable of 240 gflops. To have a mobile device with this kind of cpu power they would need to something ten times the power of the tegra. Unless they are releaseing a octo core cell processor for mobile devices I jsut don't see how this is possible.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
1 GB of RAM? Games fitting on 900 MB or 1.8GB storage units? Something doesn't add up. Either the games need larger capacity storage units or the 1 GB of RAM might be useless.

mstang1988

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
HAHAHAHAHA, memory maybe, proc no, GPU, not a chance in bloody hell. I would be curious to know how the 360 proc stacks up to the Athlon 2/intel chips. I would suspect slower but they poured tons of resources into the 360 and cell chips and IBM had a huge lead on multi core performance. The 360 proc can also run 2 threads per core giving 6 total threads. http://domino.research.ibm.com/comm/research_projects.nsf/pages/multicore.index.html

Status
Not open for further replies.