PSVR 2 is the new PlayStation Vita — and that sucks

Mar 24, 2024
Hard to get behind anyone suggesting that exclusive games are needed to sell hardware (or at all).

For a start, it's generally a BS market manipulation which offers only artificial benefits. It allows companies to compete not on what you're getting, but on what other people aren't getting. PSVR2 is a worthwhile purchase without those nonsense tactics, and probably would be selling more if for example Asgard's Wrath 2 was available on it. Hell, I got AW2 with my Q3 for free and didn't even know about the offer...

Perhaps more importantly, why should developers disadvantage themselves by only serving a subset of an already niche market? Plenty of companies just don't bother with VR because of low sales (and have publicly stated this). Cross play is also super important when you have a relatively low overall base and could be the difference between success and failure. Sony I think is coming around to this realisation.

Exclusively is not good for devs, VR, PSVR, or consumers. It's kinda sad to see fans asking for it, and even sadder to see journalists doing it.