Puma Announces Solar Powered Smartphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

princeofdreams

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
It wouldn't surprise me if this was a dual charge device, manual charge via conventional methods, then the solar cells supplementing the charge during the day, perhaps a good idea, but it does smell of gimmick... Lets face it how many of us leave our phones out charging all day? mostly were walking about with it in our pocket (or purse) trying to remember to leave it face down in sunlight every day isn't going to work to well in the real world, will just mean more dead time or worse sill more lost phones

Greg_77

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Interesting idea. Unfortunately the phone will likely have to be exposed to the Sun for an extended period of time to have a useful impact on battery life. Probably, this charging method will only be useful for emergency situations.

webbwbb

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
It could be nice to get a bit of extra time when taking a long call. In such times you naturally would have the batteries exposed to light. You may be able to add an additional 15 to 30 minutes with it.

fishyfish

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
[citation][nom]JohnnyLucky[/nom]solar power calculators.solar power watches.solar power phones.What's next?[/citation]

Costco has solar powered flashlights in their offer. Seriously.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]mjello[/nom]"Bluetooth; GPS; compass; pedometer; Web browsing; "What is a "pedometer"? ....[/citation]
Counts how many steps you have taken.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
so how is this going to charge when it will mostly be in your pocket or face up on the table. not very effective in my own opinion

fishyfish

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]so how is this going to charge when it will mostly be in your pocket or face up on the table. not very effective in my own opinion[/citation]

Can be handy if you're away camping in the middle of nowhere. Just leave it in the sun for few hours and you can phone pizza hut again!

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]fishyfish[/nom]Can be handy if you're away camping in the middle of nowhere. Just leave it in the sun for few hours and you can phone pizza hut again![/citation]

trust me if yo are going to go camping most likely you will not have service no matter what carrier you have, yes even Verizon, lol. the only way to make phone calls would be with a GPS phone

123miroslav

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011
I don't agree with you guys. My phone is all day long on some desks while working in office, at home etc. You don't need direct sun light to charge it. Normal office light is enough. I found this article while searching for such solution, because it is stupid not to implement it on any device that needs batteries. Of course, it should have normal battery too. This is not total replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.