Purchase of 13" semi game laptop

sipanek

Distinguished
May 23, 2010
Hi,

Im looking to buy a fairly small laptop that can play some games. Basically i need to replace my old Dell M1330 with a geforce 8400M that broke down completely some time ago.

The old geforce was fast enough for me, but i wouldnt want to downgrade the graphics from that level. Basically i played some Blood Bowl, Anno 1404, Eve online and Guild wars on it.

Its important to me that the computer is quite small, so i really want to avoid a full blown 15" screen. 14" could be ok, and 13,3" is perfect for me.

So yeah, what im really looking for is a Dell M1330 comparable computer but from this year with a graphics card that is current generation and not the absolute slowest of the class (basically NOT the 105M or 5430 but i figure anything else would be fast enough).

1_What is your budget?
As low as possible of course, but i could go up to 1100 euros if i really really had to.

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

11-14"

3_What screen resolution do you want?
Not important as long as screen size is right.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable is important. I move around between projects/jobs every few months and can only bring whatever is allowed under standard airline luggage rules.

5_How much battery life do you need?
Not very important, but obviously longer i better.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Yes!
Anything of current generation cards equivalent to Geforce 8400M GT will do.
Want to play Eve online, Guild Wars, Anno 1404 for sure. If its possible some stuff like Left 4 Dead 2 in low settings but good framerate would be nice as well.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Checking up on XKCD and online news once in a while. Watching movies and TV. Basic stuff.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
Not important.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Nope.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
3 years would be cool. Not saying it should be up to date for new games in 3 years though.

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Standard issue CD/DVD writer would be enough for me.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Except for the crap 8400M chips in the M1330 i have had good experiences with Dell. But im not really that biased. If the price is right and the computer can play my games without being to big i dont care about brand.

13_What country do you live in?
I move around every couple of months. Currently in Spain.

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Nothing i can think of.

sipanek

Distinguished
May 23, 2010

Thanks for the tip. The Asus is looking pretty good :)

Any other suggestions?