Qihoo 360 Total Security vs Norton 360

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DukiNuki

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
i know i'm comparing Free software with paid one and Norton might win for sure but how close can Qihoo Perform to Norton 360 ? Let me ask you this way . what Norton Does that Qihoo cant do ?

Qihoo uses Bitdefender and Avira's Engines , has some nice tools , cool appearance , nice reviews . is it enough for Protecting me from

-Getting Malware from internet and External Storage Devices ?
-Getting Attacked and hacked ?

Solution
In reality, no software will keep you safe from either of the points you mentioned; let's just clear that up. Norton, Bitdefender, Avira, Qihoo, AVG, Webroot... any software you trust with computer security will fail at a certain point. In reality, the best method of protection from malware and remote attacks/hacks is to not use the internet. Again, just making that clear.

Will Qihoo protect you from known attacks? From my research, it looks like they do a pretty good job. Have I tested it personally? Not entirely. There is one thing I do not like about its live protection methods, though; it does not detect text file viruses automatically. The fact that I've had to manually scan text files to find viruses knocks off some points. Scans...

DukiNuki

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
Oh man i hope you do the tests and give me/every body a real results . i knew that most of the sites get paid to show something Great about a software . and that's terrible . because no one will ever know if they can trust that software or not .

I used Bitdefender IS 2015 . its GUI was nice but wasn't so Smooth ( Page Transitions ) . and i couldn't find easy way to exclude my files from being scanned . it was a little aggressive on few things and slowed down my net a little .

I Still Like Qihoo better . i hope to know much more about this Free antivirus so i can Finally Decide between staying with it or go for BD . Lack of firewall on Qihoo still bothers me alittle :( . and not knowing which engines to use or not to use is a whole other story .

Hackerpc77

Estimable
Nov 15, 2014

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014

The testing I would do would be fairly subjective, quite honestly. My buddy definitely knows a thing or two, but I would have him do some pretty serious penetration testing, and more serious security analysis. When I pitched him the idea, I basically told him "It would be basic security testing; penetration tests, bypassing security software through direct hacks, hardware hacks, testing/breaking the software, etc.."

If I had a spare computer to use, I'd give the trial version a whirl, and see what I could do to help with the exclusions; I've never found that difficult on any AV software I've used, so far. Then again, I was also the child who pushed all the buttons on a toy in the store, took it apart after I got it home, then tried to modify it, or race myself putting it back together for fun... I'm used to finding things most people wouldn't find. In fact, my buddy had me disable a really loud system sound in his Corvette's built-in GPS (the system beep is not where you would normally expect it to be, and is buried deep in a web of settings). I found it in about five minutes... he spent a lot of his first few months of owning the car trying to figure it out lol. And no, he isn't inept at electronics.

Qihoo definitely is one of those wares that I've had some great first impressions of. I can't find a real reason for people to not use it, but I also can't recommend it fully while I know a lot of the things that go on behind the scenes (and that they are drawing a lot of attention to those who have no problem starting conspiracies). It's a company that is definitely delivering a decent product, but they seem to be more focused on market domination; especially in China.

If you want a supplemental firewall, just use Comodo's firewall. Comodo has one of the best firewalls you can get in the free category, and even competes with plenty of the better paid firewalls. If you were to start with a "clean slate," and removed all the traces of previous AV software (namely the filter drivers), you should install Comodo first, and then Qihoo (that way, manipulation of Qihoo's networking/etc. goes through Comodo at the deepest level).

As far as what engines you could use, just stick with the Bitdefender engine for daily use/smart scans/etc.. When you run a check on everything, switch all of the engines on; that's how I would do it, for both daily efficiency and overall effectiveness.

ShreveCC

Estimable
Mar 21, 2015

This company is out of China and may be snipping data from your computer in the back ground. China companies have a history of "borrowing\using\selling US information" data- users beware and cautious..

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
There's been a few articles I posted a while back covering the potential security "flaws" in Qihoo... but the likelihood of the Chinese using those 'backdoors' for such things is relatively minimal. Also, the software claims to do a lot that isn't easily tested by most AV testers... hence more reason for my apprehension to readily recommend it.

DukiNuki

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
well people better stop using Kaspersky too because its russian and KGB might steal our info too . :D just joking . but seriously i wont worry about chinese product stealing my information . who knows how much information CIA and FBI steals via google or american softwares ?

Qihoo has been out there for pretty long . it has been tested by many users and some great Security Labs . if it had some problems people would know by now . its just an amazing free security solution i think .

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
Now, I'm not trying to say you're wrong... but let's be realistic here.

According to a number of articles (most of which I've posted in the AV/Security subforum), Qihoo is not really a company you would want to trust. Their attempt at market domination in China, combined with Qihoo's software causing problems (quite conveniently) whenever someone is talking enough shit about it, and the fact that most AV reviews/labs DO NOT look at the source code for the reviews they write... I wouldn't trust them in the same way that I would BitDefender.

With that said, it does not make the software a bad choice for computer security, against external threats (like malicious viruses/malware/etc.). I'm willing to bet Qihoo, when stripped of its AV/security suite, is likely a trojan horse for the Qihoo staff, if they ever need it. Is it used for tracking? Well, it would be easily possible to collect that data, and sell it. But, this is where we actually start dipping our toes into speculation.