Qosmio F60 CPU Upgrade For Latest VMWare

Cloudy1

Honorable
Jan 21, 2016
Hi All,

Wondering if one of the CPU experts here can assist me in determining if I can upgrade the CPU on my Toshiba Qosmio F60 to allow usage of the latest versions of VMWare Workstation and/or Workstation Player please - apparently my CPU is now unsupported as time and technology roll forward as always.

I have disassembled this laptop for maintenance on multiple occasions ... the CPU is not soldered to the motherboard so if upgrade is possible I will proceed to replacement.

Specs with Mobo and CPU details as reported from HWiNFO64:

Model: Toshiba Qosmio F60: PQF65A-05M02W
Current Processor: Intel Core i7-740QM 45nm Clarksfield SV Socket G1 (rPGA988A)
Motherboard: Toshiba Portable PC
Chipset: Intel HM55
BIOS: Phoenix Version 2.70

According to VMWare Workstation 14 Pro Release Notes, I need a processor launched after 2011 with a few even from that date range which will still not work as can be seen under the System Requirements section here:

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workstation-Pro/14/rn/workstation-14-release-notes.html#System

1) Can I upgrade to a compatible CPU?
2) If yes then which exact CPU would I need, how much will it cost, can you provide links?

If any further information is required to assist please let me know.

Thanks very much for any input you may be able to provide in advance.

Cloudy1

Honorable
Jan 21, 2016

I downloaded VMWare Workstation Player latest version and tried installing ... can't exactly remember whether I completed the installation and tested creating a VM or not or whether I just canned out of the installation after receiving an error whilst installing about the incompatible CPU issue.

This old beast never really ran client VM's that well anyways even when new - from memory the VM's themselves often froze if not the system itself which at the time would have been Windows 7.

At least I have the latest Windows 10 installed on it and running perfectly although the old girl is unsupported by Toshiba and I can quite often have issues even trying to get a clean install on there - persistence always gets me there however.

I'll leave the CPU upgrade in the too hard basket I think and leave the virtualizing to the 16GB RAM (as opposed to 6GB in the Qosmio) in the 2015 Alienware 17R2 which I do use Workstation Pro 14 in anyways.

Thanking you for your response and the provided link - appreciate your time.