Solved! quad-core i7-6700HQ vs dual-core i7-7700U

matermark

Estimable
Aug 7, 2014
I have a warranty swap, I currently have an Envy 17 touch i7-4700HQ quad-core that will be replaced by either:

A) similar to mine in options but dual-core i7-7500U + GeForce 940mx

--OR--

B) similar to mine in options but quad-core i7-6700HQ + Intel graphics

I use an architecture home design program as well as do some photo editing. ALSO, I use Chrome and always have 25+ tabs open, at least 15 are pinned; I also have 13 plug-ins or extensions running I also use Excel & Outlook, which has over 70 mail folders & sub-folders...

I AM NOT A GAMER!!!!!

Would it be better going with the quad-core or the dual-core/GeForce?

Solution
Unless the architecture program is particularly demanding on the graphics side, the discrete graphics isn't going to make much difference for you. (I'm not sure that it would anyway - it's fairly low-end.) The two CPUs are clocked similarly and there's not that much difference between the 6th and 7th generation that you would notice in daily use. Two extra cores is never a bad thing and your old system was quad-core. (And anyway, a dual-core-with-hyperthreading CPU is an i3 as far as I'm concerned. I don't care what Intel say. An i7 should have at least 4 cores plus hyperthreading.)

That said, memory is likely to be your main bottleneck, knowing what a memory-hog Chrome can be.

Overall, I'd go for the 6700HQ. The things that might...

molletts

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
Unless the architecture program is particularly demanding on the graphics side, the discrete graphics isn't going to make much difference for you. (I'm not sure that it would anyway - it's fairly low-end.) The two CPUs are clocked similarly and there's not that much difference between the 6th and 7th generation that you would notice in daily use. Two extra cores is never a bad thing and your old system was quad-core. (And anyway, a dual-core-with-hyperthreading CPU is an i3 as far as I'm concerned. I don't care what Intel say. An i7 should have at least 4 cores plus hyperthreading.)

That said, memory is likely to be your main bottleneck, knowing what a memory-hog Chrome can be.

Overall, I'd go for the 6700HQ. The things that might sway it for me would be if the dual-core one came with a) much more RAM than the other one or b) an SSD instead of a hard drive. But RAM and SSDs are quite cheap so I would probably still go for the quad-core one then upgrade it.

Solution

matermark

Estimable
Aug 7, 2014

Thanks for replying. All have 12GB DDR3 RAM. They couldn't find a similar quad-core 17-inch model so moved me from an Envy to an Omen, with a 2.8GHz i7-7700HQ, with DDR4 12GB RAM and a GeForce GTX 1050 but I only realized in the middle of the nite that it wasn't a touchscreen like I have now. I'm hooked on a touchscreen and can't go back...I have to find a way to cancel the Omen build and order the 6700HQ...

molletts

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009

That's a nice spec - a fast quad-core CPU and a fairly beefy discrete GPU... Are you sure you can't live without a touchscreen? :)

matermark

Estimable
Aug 7, 2014

Picture this: You have a Smartphone and spent the last 3 years mastering swipes, gestures and pinches, so much so that you can speed through any task. NOW, take away any touch features and you must use a mouse & keyboard. How productive would you be?

If it sounds unreasonable on a smartphone, then replace the phone with a tablet. That may be a better comparison. I find it often easier to look at the screen and touch a button than to move the mouse around to find the cursor then move it to the button & click on it. I seriously believe the future of computers will be touch or near-touch gestures without actually touching the screen!

By the way, my backup laptop is an i5 ThinkPad X230T, the one the screen swivels and folds down into a tablet where the entire 13" (12.5") screen becomes a digitizer tablet. It's both a touchscreen and a digitizer with a pen. It's only current drawback is just a 320GB hard drive.

Everything I have been using the last 3-4 years has been touchscreen, from a Toshiba Win8/10 tablet, HP Slate 10" Android tablet, HP Envy TS17, Thinkpad X230T, etc. It's too hard to go back[wards] now!