question about military test on notebook

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
some lenovo models are claimed to have passed through a number of military test like spilling water and drop test.

Military tested is an attractive feature to me because I will use the laptop a lot in crowed McDonalds in Asian countries and dusty environment outside construction site..

but I am just wondering if it's gimmick, since for example, lenovo x250 and carbon x1- I can see there are a lot of slits and ventilation sector as well as connection ports (eg USB, microphone jack etc) , in other words air could go through the space into the inside of laptop, I'm just wondering how can it survive upon spilling water or dust...

drtweak

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
1) they probably seal the ports up good so dust can't get in
2) there HAS to be vents for airflow but again they are more likely sealed up pretty good
3) Spills are mainly for the keyboard. To get water in the vents would be kind hard if it was on accident.

if you ever do have anything spilled on a laptop, any laptop, you yank that power cord and battery. A PC/Laptop can survive stuff being spilt on it as long as power is removed ASAP and that power is not applied until it is properly cleaned up.

If you want a rugged laptop to avoid damage as much as possible in rough environments you need a full rugged system like a Panasonic Toughbook (the higher end model, the lower ones are semi-rugged). The tests are not a gimmick, they list full tests on the web site as to what is tested.