Solved! Question about soundcard and headphones

Sep 1, 2020
I'm planning on purchasing the Sony WH-1000XM4 headset. This headset only has a 3.5mm jack. I usually get headphones with a usb so that the sound quality doesn't rely on my soundcard, because I kind of assumed it isn't any good. So my question is whether I should get the Sony WH-1000XM4? Is it compatible with my current soundcard? And will I be utilizing the full potential of the headset if I do? Or should I invest in a new soundcard or a different headset with a USB? My current motherboard is the Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X and it has a "Realtek ALC892 audio codec ".

Solution
An external DAC/headphone amp has two obvious functions.
The DAC converts digital audio to analog. The environment inside a computer isn't great for that so an external device has an advantage.
What you will hear will be more detail and dynamics. It may also be cleaner and smoother sounding. It will depend on the quality of the DAC, your music and the quality of the headphones.
The amp part of the package will also affect the sound quality but it will have more impact if you have headphones that are difficult to drive. The Sony phones will probably be driven just fine with the motherboard.
Sep 1, 2020
Hi. Thanks for the reply. I'm planning on using them wired only. I also plan on buying a different cable that is longer than a measly 1.2 meters. Say I just use it as is without any USB DAC thing... will that negatively impact the performance? and in what way?

The DAC converts digital audio to analog. The environment inside a computer isn't great for that so an external device has an advantage.
What you will hear will be more detail and dynamics. It may also be cleaner and smoother sounding. It will depend on the quality of the DAC, your music and the quality of the headphones.
The amp part of the package will also affect the sound quality but it will have more impact if you have headphones that are difficult to drive. The Sony phones will probably be driven just fine with the motherboard.

Solution
Sep 1, 2020

Thanks for the detailed reply! Just to confirm, you're saying I should get a sound card, right? Also, which would you recommend? (I'd prefer not to go over a couple hundred if possible)