Question about surround sound, how to know if it works with xbox 360 and normal t/v stations?

marcus32123

Estimable
Oct 31, 2014
I just want to use my surround sound with my xbox 360 and to watch normal t/v stations with (HBO, ESPN, MTV, etc)

How do I know what to look for in a surround sound? I want to buy one but don't know what to look for. Is it a special port or something I am assuming?

Also, I am checking this one out right now, will this one work with my xbox 360 and t/v stations?
Onkyo 5.1ch Home Theater System, HT-S580

That should work just fine.
Does anyone here know if Onkyo fixed their digital board failure issues they had in 2012??

Pioneer is around same price as onkyo and pretty decent, Yamaha is good but usually a little more expensive.

You will connect XBOX and your DVR box to surround reciever via HDMI, and then connect reciever to TV via HDMI (there are other options, hdmi is prefereed).

If you dot have a DVR there are other option but this thread would be 10 pages if i covered every single possibility.

One suggestion, buy 14 or 16 gauge speaker wire. Most home-theater-in-a-box systems come with lame 22 gauge speaker wire. The thicker gauge wire will povide better flow of sound and you can actually hear the difference.
If getting a cheaper system go with 16 gauge because 14 gauge might not fit in reciever/speakers.

marcus32123

Estimable
Oct 31, 2014
I am getting this system in like-new condition for 50 bucks. I was just wondering if it would work with my t/v stations and xbox 360. The last surround sound system I looked at, I researched it and it only worked with DVD's.

I talked to the guy at Onkyo, and he said that this doesn't have HDMI, only optical. He said HDMI was better and that I should maybe not get this one because of that. What do ya'll think?

So two questions now.
1. Will this system (Onkyo 5.1ch Home Theater System, HT-S580) work with my xbox 360 and t/v stations.
2. How much of a difference is HDMI and optical? Should I really avoid this system just because is doesn't have HDMI?

TRENDING THREADS