Question about Tiamat 7.1

rockakak

Estimable
Jun 4, 2014
Do I need Headphones amplifier for these or only 1 mid-range sound card like Asus Xonar DX will do the job? Also are these headphones 256 Ohm total with these 10 drives?

Solution
okay. i must just not have seen the usb on the specs.

remember your soundcard already has an amp inside it powering your headphone drivers.

if you were talking about pushing out more power than the soundcard can handle by lets say using an external headphone amp then that would...
A)be very costly
B)may blow your drivers since they are not meant for big amps (headphone amps are meant for larger driver and typically higher ohm studio headphones and the like)
C)if they do not blow your drivers would not result in better sound
D)since you would be doubleamping (soundcard has an amp, combined with an external) you would have a higher %THD (distortion) which means it could potentially sound worse.

generally the only thing you would need a...

gaborbarla

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009

Hi,

Here is a list of supported soundcards from the Razer site: http://www.razerzone.com/tiamat/en/soundcards
But, I know from experience (a friend has a pair) that the Tiamat works with his motherboard sound card also. He only has 5.1 surround and then the tiamat works with 5.1 only.

The Xonar DX is on the list by the way, so it should work perfectly.

Gabor

each of the speakers is 16-32ohm of resistance on the line. i'm not sure what the wattage specs on them are though. remember, only two channels are on each line so you wouldnt be adding up all the numbers like you are since they will be divided amonst 4x audio outputs from your soundcard.

the xonar dx is capable of powering even some headphones like the dt770pro-80ohm so it should have no trouble with the much smaller and much less powerful drivers in the tiamat headset. you might even be able to get away with just onboard powering them however the DX is a pretty nice soundcard for the money spent.

rockakak

Estimable
Jun 4, 2014

the usb cable + 5 x 3.5 mm .. its all there. I already got them + already got the sound card, they are fantastic when playing FPS and watching 5.1 or 7.1 movies. I was just wondering if I can make them any better with amplifier.

okay. i must just not have seen the usb on the specs.

remember your soundcard already has an amp inside it powering your headphone drivers.

if you were talking about pushing out more power than the soundcard can handle by lets say using an external headphone amp then that would...
A)be very costly
B)may blow your drivers since they are not meant for big amps (headphone amps are meant for larger driver and typically higher ohm studio headphones and the like)
C)if they do not blow your drivers would not result in better sound
D)since you would be doubleamping (soundcard has an amp, combined with an external) you would have a higher %THD (distortion) which means it could potentially sound worse.

generally the only thing you would need a headphone amplifier for are studio headphones or smaller home theater speakers in 2.0 config.

Solution