Solved! Question about upgrading receiver.

roadrage0446

Prominent
Oct 28, 2017
i currently have this receiver onkyo and want to upgrade to this one new. Question i have is will i notice a big difference in sound quality? the old one is about 15 years old now. thanks for any help....

Solution
It depends a bit on what media you're talking about. If you mean, your mp3 music ... then no ... no big difference. If you mean a blu-ray with DTS-HD Master Audio then yes given that your current receiver can't decode this format.

The big difference in these receivers is not so much the sound quality ... it's the type and convenience of connections and the codec, pass-through capabilities.

robert600

Distinguished
It depends a bit on what media you're talking about. If you mean, your mp3 music ... then no ... no big difference. If you mean a blu-ray with DTS-HD Master Audio then yes given that your current receiver can't decode this format.

The big difference in these receivers is not so much the sound quality ... it's the type and convenience of connections and the codec, pass-through capabilities.

Solution

roadrage0446

Prominent
Oct 28, 2017
I use xbox one x and a 4k hdr tv only. Would you guys upgrade.? If so is this a good receiver or do yous have a better one in mind around the 250 - 300 price point

Thank you for the links.
Any name brand receiver you buy today will have better digital to analog converters than your old one. So with digitally connected sources you will get an big improvement because of that. More detail, better dynamics on music and lossless audio like Dolby TrueHD. Overall on the digital end it will be a vast improvement.
The analog end however may not sound as good as your old receiver. The tuner may not be as good but internet radio is better so no great loss. I doubt a new AVR will last as long as your old one either.