[Question] Laptop brightness.

Dranolth

Estimable
Mar 4, 2014
Hi, guys!
I've recently changed my laptop's OS from Windows 7 to XP and a problem appeared. Everytime I start it, with the charger unplugged, the brightness is really low and it won't go up when plugging it. The only way to "fix" this is starting the laptop with the charger plugged in. I've tried but I can't find the option to change that in the Energy Options on the Control Panel and I'm running out of ideas.
My laptop is a Samsung nc110, which came with w7 originally. All the drivers provided by Samsung are adapted to that OS, so I had to apply "generic" drivers for each of the components to work on XP, even the Chipset. Could this be a problem?
I changed the OS, in the first place, because I was told it would improve the laptop's performance and I have a younger brother who uses it to play some old games, like Diablo II. Games that worked fine with w7. Should I go back to w7? Is the performance of this laptop going to be affected drastically if I switch back to w7?

Solution
Downgrading OS especially in laptops are extremely risky. Laptop mobos are not as flexible desktops and are tuned to a particular OS. Generic drivers are released for a wider consumer group and while graphics card, sound network drivers generally work, most other drivers tend to be problematic (including chipset drivers).
I would suggest you to go back to W7. You will not be seeing any performance drop if you revert back to W7 (it should perform like when you bought it new). XP is a very old OS and W7 is miles ahead of it when it comes to performance, stability and security.

Rit_86

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
Downgrading OS especially in laptops are extremely risky. Laptop mobos are not as flexible desktops and are tuned to a particular OS. Generic drivers are released for a wider consumer group and while graphics card, sound network drivers generally work, most other drivers tend to be problematic (including chipset drivers).
I would suggest you to go back to W7. You will not be seeing any performance drop if you revert back to W7 (it should perform like when you bought it new). XP is a very old OS and W7 is miles ahead of it when it comes to performance, stability and security.

Solution