Question re: cannibalizing for parts

DavidHill76

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
Hey y'all,

I was wondering if hardware from my Asus G73jw-A1 could be used in building my own PC. It has an i7-quad core processor and 8GB of RAM, an 80GB SSD and 500GB HDD slave drive.

Even if it's not pretty, I figure all of this can be can upcycled into a new rig.

The only reason the G73jw stopped working is because the nVidia gtx 460m is trash.

Solution
Here is what someone did to replace the GPU. I think you choices in cards will be very limited and it won't take a current card.

https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/1555-guide-g73jw-upgrade-with-nvidia-gtx-660m/

manddy123

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016
Using parts of a laptop to build a PC? Maybe the HDD and SSD
Everything else is made differently, size, specs, etc and only very specific cases will allow that.

It maybe would be easier if you were switching them to another laptop. But for PC, no, sorry.

drtweak

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
Honestly the SSD and HDD are the only real things. There are no desktop boards that I know of that take the Mobile CPUs. There are, however, some ITX boards that take SODIMM but its DDR3 and probably only 1333 mhz which isn't a huge deal but the 1-4th gen CPUs take regular DDR3. The 6/7 Take DDR3L or DDR4

thx1138v2

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
If you are talking about building a desktop, the RAM won't be usable. Laptops use 204 pin SODIMM RAM which typically won't fit desktop motherboard slots.

I suspect, but don't know for sure, that the CPU is soldered to the mobo so it likely won't be usable in a desktop either.

That leaves your SSD and HHD which might be usable depending on how old they are and what connectors they have for data and power.

DavidHill76

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
Ok, so what about if it was heavily modded?

Let's just say I bought a new graphics card, attached it, and rewired the screen?

I'm typing all of this up from my very ugly G73jw. I've torn it apart and I can see it's innards as I type. Most of it's in working order, just need to find a way to add a newer graphics card, maybe up the RAM from 4 to 8GB and re-case.

I just need guidance on how

To answer: if you want to custom build something, there is plenty of DIY Case mods out there to accommodate your desire, but your talking more a 'passion' than a "won't cost more than its worth" solution. That is to say, to do what your asking would cost MORE than just replacing the thing with another computer, but if you don't care about money just the goal, then yeah look into Case Mods (check here on TH's main page) there is plenty of video linked to them to show HOW they do it (guidance on how) and what to look for. But again it is a passion of achieving a goal, NOT for salvaging for the sake of cost savings.

Corwin65

Estimable
Nov 2, 2015
Here is what someone did to replace the GPU. I think you choices in cards will be very limited and it won't take a current card.

https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/1555-guide-g73jw-upgrade-with-nvidia-gtx-660m/

Solution

DavidHill76

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010

No link posted, thanks.

Oh sorry I thought you were capable of tying in the tomshardware.com in your web browser XD