Questions on Files and Folders

NoClue

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Please paredon my ignorance but the MP3 world is new to me and I am trying to find out what the difference is between files and folders. I have bought two simple but nice 2 GB flash players: iAudio G3 and a Creative MuVo V100.

I am still trying to get the hang of files and folders for DAPs. These are my first two ever so I basically have nill experience.

1. I know how to rip, syncronize, and name tracts. But I must also confess that I have ripped only one album, syncronized, and named.

Are these playlists then considered files? If not what are files?

2. Are these files what I download into the folders?

3. When I download my files into folders do folders keep the lists separate?

Thanks.

Playlists are considered files as well as the actual MP3s.

As you may or may not know a playlist is simply a sequence list of MP3 files to play; perhaps you wish to create a playlist of different songs by different artists to listen to. It does not actually contain any music data. Playlists are not necessary since you can just select a folder to play and the player will play all the songs in that folder (or sub-folder) then move on to the next folder with music.

I am not familiar with those players, but they should allow you to make your own folders. I have an old iRiver H140 which allows me to make my own folders. My basic setup is as follows:

Music Folder:
------------Classical sub-folder
------------Heavy Metal sub-folder
Example:
Heavy Metal Folder
------------Arch Enemy (Band)
-------------------Burning Bridge (Album sub folder)
-------------------Wage of Sin (Album sub folder)
------------Iced Earth (Band)
-------------------Something Wicked This Way Comes (Album sub folder)
-------------------Glorious Burden (Album sub folder)
------------Slayer (Band)
-------------------Reign In Blood (Album sub folder)
-------------------Seasons In The Abyss (Album sub folder)

Playlist Folder:
------------No sub-folders: just a list of different playlist

NoClue

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Thanks so much for the reply. You are the first person that has explained it this clearely.

Now let's see if I get what you are saying. :)

1. I rip the Album Fragile by Yes, syncronize it and name the artist. This is now a playlist, correct?

2. This playlist is also consider a file which is downloaded into a folder on the DAP and I can add other files to the same folder. Correct?

Thanks.

g-paw

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
A Folder is just that, think of manila folder in a file cabinet, files are the documents that are "filed" in the folder. When you rip an album most programs will create a folder or you create it yourself. If your ripping Yes's Fragile you would want a Folder titled Yes and a subfolder called Fragile and then rip it the album to the Fragile subfolder. Each individual song in the folder would be a file. A playlist is type of file that references a number of specific files, in this case songs that are mp3 files. Say you wanted a playlist of romantic songs, someone special is coming over and you want to set a mood :D, so you go through you music folders and find romantic songs (files) and create the playlist. Then when the time is right you simply go to the playlist and play it. If you ever move the music folder(s) or files, you'll have to create a new playlist because if you move the music, the playlist won't be able to find the files to play. There are different types of files and they will have different extensions, e.g., you music may be .mp3, your word documents would be .doc, the files that run you programs will be .exe, etc. I don't have an mp3 player so I'm don't know exactly how they work, e.g., could you create a playlist and transfer the songs in the playlist to the player?