Questions regarding Laptop

Jun 16, 2018
Hello,

I'm quite in a bind right now, but I have a question regarding my laptop.
My laptop is Asus N46VZ, i7 36xx series, 1tb HDD, 8GB Ram, Windows 10 Pro

Before using W10, I was at 8.1, the problem started from there,

1.) the login screen where I need to put my password, loads slowly, it's even worse after the recent W10 Update, From the login screen, it's usually takes 15-30 secs for the text box to shows up, I can write the password first, but it will take time for the password to appear on the text box (delayed, sort of)

2.) I use this laptop mainly for illustrations, graphic designing, before, with 8gb of ram, I could get a decent performance on photoshop cs6, but all of the sudden, the performance grows worse every w10 update, i might be wrong, but sometimes hiding layers could take approx 5-10 seconds, and it becomes annoying now.

My question is, does this have anything to do with the RAM? i usually open Photoshop and illustrator at once, and on task manager, i see the ram usage is not that high, but the performance is, well not good. I've been looking for answer, do I need to upgrade to 16gb of ram, or I could just save for a new laptop?

3.) On the laptop's HDD, it's been here from I first bought the laptop, which is around 2013. Could it be the sign of an aging HDD? I know it must be worth it to upgrade to SSD and use the HDD as a secondary drive, but I'm rather curious, whether the one causing all of this is the RAM, or the HDD.

I don't really think the CPU could cause this, or am i wrong? And, one more question, Currently I always have almost 100% usage on disk drive in task manager, is that normal? I don't think i really remember the usage before i upgraded to 8.1, but is it normal for a HDD, even if it's new, to reach 100% usage? If I Change my main windows drive to a SSD, will it still shows a 100% disk usage?

Thank you :)

Solution
Yes slowness like you are seeing can be from a failing hard drive, especially since you are seeing high usage of it. Swapping it for an SSD will speed things up.
Jun 16, 2018

okay then, thanks!