Quick Question about DualShock Controllers PS2 on Laptop

Bolin

Estimable
Sep 8, 2014
Hello tomshardware, I am thinking about buying an USB controller and I've seen products labeled by "Dual Shock controller ps2 with USB for pc". I'd just like to know if this is what I am looking for. I want one to play fifa and some games comfortably, do games have to support it? I guess I'd need some software to map the keyboard's key into the controller.

I had been thinking about an xbox 360 usb controller until I realised they are 8 times more expensive than ps2 controllers and from what I can see they have pretty much the same number of keys.

edit: Also, what's Dualshock? I know I've heard that name before, but I can't recall what's the difference between dualshock and not dualshock controller?

Solution
Usually, if any extra software is needed, it will be included on a CD with the controller. However, for the most part, that has gone away with the gameport. You may have to change settings in your games, usually button assignments, though.

Casey

cklaubur

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
Dualshock is the vibration-compatible controller for the Sony Playstation 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Likely, what you are looking at is a controller that looks like a Playstation controller. Most games should support a USB controller with very little issue.

Casey

Bolin

Estimable
Sep 8, 2014

That's good to know!
Do I need any extra software or it's just plug and play?

cklaubur

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
Usually, if any extra software is needed, it will be included on a CD with the controller. However, for the most part, that has gone away with the gameport. You may have to change settings in your games, usually button assignments, though.

Casey

Solution

Bolin

Estimable
Sep 8, 2014

thanks for your help!