Quick question about Spectre

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Arbiter051

Commendable
Mar 28, 2016
I hope this is the right place, I am sorry if it isn't.

I have the latest updates and I am (hopefully) not affected by meltdown any longer to some degree.

With spectre though, I use a 4790 non k and i have a msi z97 sli krait edition MB and for me, msi isn't going to roll out updates for this MB sadly.

Is there a way to know if I have the spectre virus? Also if I ever do get it, can you remove it? Or do you have to change both you cpu and MB?

I ask these questions because I have seen no one talk about them yet and I have been wondering if maybe someone knows some information I have yet to find. I have been researching these vulnerabilities since the day they came to light, but have yet to find answers to my specific questions.

Thank you all.

Solution

Spectre and Meltdown are not viruses, they are vulnerabilities. They are basically bugs that can be taken advantage of by viruses and malware to grab information while the processor is processing it. If you get a virus that takes advantage of Spectre, you will most likely be able to remove it with Malwarebytes or an antivirus. You would not have to replace your CPU...

Arbiter051

Commendable
Mar 28, 2016

Thank you very much for that reply. Makes feel a little less scared

TRENDING THREADS