RadioShack Re-branding Itself as 'The Shack'

Status
Not open for further replies.

ditto1958

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
Hmmm... I guess change is inevitable in this world. Still, I would have thought that Radio Shack has very strong brand recognition. Making such a drastic change in the name to me smacks of desperation. Maybe they aren't in very good shape financially.

Would McDonald's change their name to a nickname? I suspect that if they officially became Mickey D's, things might go downhill rather quickly for them.

I don't know how muchlonger we'll have Radio Shack around-- at least as the extremely useful parts store they have been for many, many years.

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
ditto1958: Why not.. it werked for KFC?

'the shack' has sucked for a very long time now and they don't seem to be getting any better... other resellers sell the same crap for cheaper and their sales staff aren't very good either... so wot else is there?

squatchman

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
They haven't been a useful parts store for years now. Radio shack died for me when they degenerated into a battery and electronic toy store.

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
Well, the shack gives people the shaft with those darn high prices. I really don't buy anything from there unless I know it's gonna be hard to find it somewhere else and I need it now, like rosen core solder.

nirvanabah

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
This reminds me of the article I ready saying Pizza Hut will now be "The Hut". Seems like such a small, silly change and I don't understand how it could possibly help anything.

G

i used to work at RadioShack's headquarters. i can verify that they have nice clean toilets and i've taken MANY dumps there. and this my friends is more exciting than this name change. changing the names doesnt hide the fact that they have a small selection and HIGH PRICES. i used to work there but NEVER shopped at the stores. most of the time the price was still higher for me even with my employee discount! LOL They should have renamed it: FAILshack

mp562

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]megabonix[/nom]i used to work at RadioShack's headquarters. i can verify that they have nice clean toilets and i've taken MANY dumps there. and this my friends is more exciting than this name change. changing the names doesnt hide the fact that they have a small selection and HIGH PRICES. i used to work there but NEVER shopped at the stores. most of the time the price was still higher for me even with my employee discount! LOL They should have renamed it: FAILshack[/citation]

Dude, you rock -- anyone who can admit they take a dump at work just simply rocks in my book.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
The main issue with Radio Shack isn't in the name, it is in the product lines they try to sell. I remember when I could walk into a Radio Shack and find components and stuff to build little eletronic things. Even today to walk into a Radio Shack, you are directed to a dark corner of the store to find a limited number of spare/raw parts. Also their staff is very under-educated on the prodicts they do sell.

But ultimately, Radio Shack could just reinvent itself back to its roots. There is no need to compete with Best Buy and other stores that sell basically the same stuff.

G

Eh, I have never in my life called RadioShack "The Shack", and I don't plan to start doing so :p Either way, I only go there once in a blue moon to get an adapter or a battery. As others have mentioned, their prices are just too high. Also, they've limited their in-store selection so much that products often have to be special-ordered, which is a pain. I expected them to go out of business 10-15 years ago.

G

Well it's better than eyeballs and money, but still done with the mentality of a buffoon. RadioShack is a brand name and should remain that way. Someone's trying to justify their job and that's all I'll say. Why not change Applbaum to "Apple bomb".

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]Marcus Yam[/nom]The branding will also come at a time when the company wants to reposition itself as more than just a parts store...[/citation]
It's been a long time since they were a decent "parts store."

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
rat shack has nearly nothing of any value, not to mention the fact anything that you actually need, led's, resistors, or any supplies to actually construct something, are always over priced. 5 dollars for an f-ing led? bs, eat a fat one rat shack, they need to start carrying things that are of actual use or just roll over and die.

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
[citation][nom]nirvanabah[/nom]This reminds me of the article I ready saying Pizza Hut will now be "The Hut". Seems like such a small, silly change and I don't understand how it could possibly help anything.[/citation]

because most people that eat there aren't articulate enough to say "pizza".

ravenware

Distinguished
May 17, 2005
I don't understand why that place makes money.

I rarely see anyone in there, all they sell is stuff you can get for a better price elsewhere.

puddleglum

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
If they wanted a friendly nickname they could have done better than naming themselves after William P. Young's current book about a little girl getting butchered in the woods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS