RAM Upgrade Macbook Pro Mid-2012

SekethThoth

Prominent
Mar 31, 2017
[Moderator Note: Moved to Macbooks Category.]

I'm thinking about upgrading my Macbook Pro's RAM, since it right now has only 4Gb, sometimes at work, using several browsers, my VM and several apps make my RAM go close to 3.8 Gb used and slow the machine down, I already have an SSD installed in it, so I'm not sure if I should go with the 8Gb upgrade or directly to the 16Gb upgrade. Could 8Gb be enough for what I use my Macbook for? (Web development/app development I also use a VM on VirtualBox Headless mode) Thanks!

Solution
8GB may be fine for what you are doing since it currently uses 3.8GB when doing all that you do. I have a late 2011 MacBook Pro and have 16GB installed but then again I do video editing on that machine.

SekethThoth

Prominent
Mar 31, 2017

Thanks, year close to 4Gb is what I'm using constantly but because I can't afford to overload the RAM or my machine start crawling, I think I'll be going for the 8Gb anyways, I was told that maybe later we would get improvements on our working equipment so 8Gb for the time being on this machine will make my dev days easier.