Rana 450 shows as propus 650 ?

iTree

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
i was asking someone why my rana 450 would hardly overclock at all even at different vcores and they said some or either good unlocking and bad overclocking or good overclock and bad unlock ,, so i tried unlocking with my biostar ta880gb+ and now my cpu thinks its a propus 650 , what weird cues my friend unlocked a rana 450 with the same board and it showed up as a phenom 4X ,, also when i get into windows as a propus 650 it says its a 4 core processor , tho i cant find the 4th core , it like just asleep , but i dont get any crashes or errors ,, so my rana wont do anything : S , wont overclock or unlock ,, what i fell is sad cues i got a nice heatsink on it where overclock and unlock should have no temp prob , right now at normal set it sits idle at like 55F(12.7C) and with occt it limits at 116F(46C)
any ideas ?

Baralis

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
Their could be a couple different reasons yours is being reported as a propus and his an phenom II. First he may have unlocked the L3 cache so he does actually have a phenom II or he is getting an inaccurate reading. My unlocked 445 (without L3) read as phenom with CPU-Z build 1.56 but build 1.57 shows it correctly as a propus core.

As far as your 4th core showing but not being active. The software recognizes that the chip has a 4th core to it but it is faulty and therefor not activated.