Random freezes for a couple of seconds but then back functioning normally (Especially during gaming)

JeehoonOh

Estimable
Apr 27, 2014
So hey guys, recently I have been getting problems with my Macbook Pro (I know I know) where, especially during gaming (I use Bootcamp mostly on this laptop), I would get these random fps freezes for a second, but then everything goes back to normal. I get pretty good fps for most of my games (60fps-120fps) so the laptop can run the games perfectly fine, other than the fps freeze. There's also another problem where when audio plays in a game, the sound would like glitch and repeat itself like a broken radio. Couple things I have tried are:

-Completely reinstalled Windows 7
-Updated everything through Windows Update, Also tried Slimdrivers
-Have a full Virus Scan
-Put the laptop to high performance in the settings, changed the overlay so it favors performance
-Tried performance booster softwares (Gamebooster, Throttlestop, etc.)

Here are my laptop specs
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2640M CPU @ 2.80GHz, 2801 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
RAM: 4GB
Graphics: Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000, 1.77 GB

So not the best specs but with these specs, I was able to play the exact same games perfectly fine without the random fps freeze until recently and like I said, the fps itself is high.

When I'm just browsing, the CPU Utilization fluctuates around 0%-5%
The CPU Core Temperature is around 55C. It will go up to 90 when I am gaming and CPU Utilization to 40%. Processor frequency is always at 0GHz.
Other information while it's just idle
Active Core Count: 1
Memory Utilization: 1763 MB
CPU Throttling: 0%
Graphics Frequency: 648 MHz

Some addition information are sometimes when I boot up my laptop, it will be really slow for no reason so I have to reboot it and it will be perfectly fine (Or I would have to go through startup repair).

I will edit in more information if by chance I forgot something. But I would greatly appreciate if someone has a solution to this.

Oh and also these random freezes also happens while browsing as well, but not as frequent

Solution
Well, I also am the owner of a late 2012 Macbook Pro model. It still works well, although the performance dropped significantly since a year ago (I was to lazy to get the dust out of there, as I think that's the main problem :) ).

I never really got any fps freezes so maybe you might have been messing around in some of the programs/config files? Could cause some problems too. And you mentioned you installed steam: it's not that if you use steam, you're guaranteed safe from these kind of problems. Steam is also affected by the whole system, naturally :) . Try this program (it might look a bit suspicious, but it's actually pretty good) to clean up your macbook: Onyx http://www.onyxmac.com/ . You could also use Ccleaner for Mac, it's been...

Ali Shayyan

Estimable
Jul 4, 2014
The temperature your telling is way to high , 90c , it should throttle the CPU and graphics to fall back and decrease its frequencies. You should try using a laptop cooler or something . just try to keep temps down 70c . also macbook might have not properly optimized it self for Windows,

Kryptonous

Estimable
Jul 12, 2014
When did you buy your Macbook? If it's a bit older (1 - 2 - 3 years) there might be some dust stuck in the cooling system which will heat up your Macbook a lot and slow down performances.
Also, in my opinion: the graphics card is not a gaming card at all and is quite outdated. But if you say that you played the same games on it, I trust you on that. :)

JeehoonOh

Estimable
Apr 27, 2014

Yea I ordered a laptop cooler so I will see how that helps out, atm I have just a regular fan pointing at the laptop lol.
Also I have steam installed on the apple OS, and the fps freeze occurs there as well.

JeehoonOh

Estimable
Apr 27, 2014

Yeah the laptop is a couple years old now but I forgot to mention that I did buy a can of compressed air and clean out my laptop. I think on this macbook pro the vents are in the hinges? so I sprayed the can there, and also on the keyboard, usb ports, etc.
Yeah the card is pretty terrible :p but this problem didn't occur before. I play games that are not heavily graphic intensive fortunately, like league of legends and I can run it at high fps on low-med settings, the only problem is the fps freeze :(

Kryptonous

Estimable
Jul 12, 2014
Well, I also am the owner of a late 2012 Macbook Pro model. It still works well, although the performance dropped significantly since a year ago (I was to lazy to get the dust out of there, as I think that's the main problem :) ).

I never really got any fps freezes so maybe you might have been messing around in some of the programs/config files? Could cause some problems too. And you mentioned you installed steam: it's not that if you use steam, you're guaranteed safe from these kind of problems. Steam is also affected by the whole system, naturally :) . Try this program (it might look a bit suspicious, but it's actually pretty good) to clean up your macbook: Onyx http://www.onyxmac.com/ . You could also use Ccleaner for Mac, it's been a while since I used that one.

Whenever gaming or doing something when you might experience the freezes, try opening task manager (activity monitor I guess) and check the Disk usage, network usage and CPU usage. You might learn something out of that.

Now I saw why you mentioned that you also installed steam on the Apple OS: Maybe it's a bootcamp-related problem which affects the rest of the computer (although that would seem a bit weird, it might be possible). I never used Bootcamp though, so I have no idea about that possibility.

I hope I helped you a bit there!

Solution