Question Random Laptop Shutdowns

Jan 21, 2023
I'm using HP 15-ay068ne for the past 5 years and maybe around a year ago I installed an SSD and replaced the CD disk drive with a hardware caddy. Right now, my laptop is shutting down while unplugged after a few minutes with a beep sound. I just replaced the fan as I was getting a black screen with an error message about fan not working properly but still the shutdowns remains when i unplug the charger for a while. I have checked the battery report and the battery degradation is around 31%.

So, I'm not sure if it is the battery or the 2nd hard drive on the caddy or some other hardware issue that is causing this. I have already reinstalled windows, so I don't think software is the issue.

Last edited:
I you think it's the work you did, remove that caddy and test it. However if it worked normally after you did the work it may not be that. Could be the batter but only way to really test that is to replace it. Fan not working and system overheating will cause issues as well, so make sure the fan is good and the wiring is correct so the system sees it.

Jan 21, 2023
I you think it's the work you did, remove that caddy and test it. However if it worked normally after you did the work it may not be that. Could be the batter but only way to really test that is to replace it. Fan not working and system overheating will cause issues as well, so make sure the fan is good and the wiring is correct so the system sees it.
I tried removing the caddy it still shutdowns with the beep, and even after replacing the old fan the error message has not gone yet.