Rapid threats detected! Avast + Chrome.

VGM8Richard

Estimable
Aug 12, 2015
Hi there,

I am using Avast (free version) and MalwareBytes. (free version).

I am getting constant Avast notifications that they detected a threat, saying it's Chrome (google). With just random letters and numbers, so I have no idea what it is / means..

But I am getting a lot of them! I've done multiple Avast scans, including complete ones (the biggest) and Malware scans, they both come up with nothing. My browser cache is clean, I use CCleaner daily, and I don't surf on weird or shady websites.

Any ideas? This is getting rediculous. Thanks in advance.

ps: I must also note a second question: I have 8x Chrome.exe in my taskmanager processes list. This is odd, and I don't know why but I can't just terminate them. Any idea WHY this is and how I can keep this from happening? Or is this normal?

gangrel

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
On the Chrome: each window and each extension runs in its own process. That includes things like themes.

On the other...funny, I just had something like it. I'm not sure it's real; if it is, it might be a false alarm. I got one when I went to Answers.com...usually a non-issue. I also suspect that perhaps what we're seeing, is that an infected ad stream on that site is being blocked. Ads are becoming a huge issue with security. It doesn't have to be a shady site any more.

gangrel

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
BTW: Chrome has a setting as well, Enable phishing and malware protection. It's turned on by default...and if you follow the forums, you may have seen QUITE a few requests for help in removing malvertising. These suckers are HARD to remove, so it's best to never let them get in. It doesn't take shady spots; cnet and softpedia are often problematic, for example. It's more, how does a site get its content? Ergo, I'll take as much protection as I can get.