dosel1

Estimable
Sep 8, 2014
I would like to have 3 speakers (one in each room) to be controlled by a single rasberry pi device. How would I go about doing this? I was thinking of 3 USB dacs or is there a small/cheap receiver/amp that I could have hardware controls to take 1 source and output 3 speakers too?

Please give me some insight. Thanks!

Solution
You may be able to use something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/G-Cord-Wireless-Bluetooth-Streaming-Transmitter/dp/B010UP3GXC

Not sure if Bluetooth is workable for you. And you would need four of the devices: one to transmit (TX) and three to receive (RX). Meaning a receiver for each destination speaker.

So you would need only a single output port on the Raspberry Pi sans any stated requirement for individual speaker control via the Raspberry Pi.

The DAC would be serviced by a single Raspberry Pi port. The output would go to the TX via 3.5 mm connection cable. TX broadcasts to the speakers RX. Something along those lines depending upon the overall setup and the desired controls.

I think there are enough products...
The idea being you can select any combination of the three speakers to be ON or OFF?

Or all three speakers ON or OFF together?

Do the speakers individually or collectively have their own power supply?

What is the source? What output options do you have?

Am I correct that you do not necessarily need to or intend to program the raspberry pi to do the speaker switching?

I.e., some other mechanical switch or control system would be acceptable.

dosel1

Estimable
Sep 8, 2014
The speakers will use a wireless receiver that a trs jack plugs in to. The only issue I have is having 3 TRS ports on the Rasberry Pi. Could I use 3 USB soundcards/DAC's to get 3 audio outs?

You may be able to use something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/G-Cord-Wireless-Bluetooth-Streaming-Transmitter/dp/B010UP3GXC

Not sure if Bluetooth is workable for you. And you would need four of the devices: one to transmit (TX) and three to receive (RX). Meaning a receiver for each destination speaker.

So you would need only a single output port on the Raspberry Pi sans any stated requirement for individual speaker control via the Raspberry Pi.

The DAC would be serviced by a single Raspberry Pi port. The output would go to the TX via 3.5 mm connection cable. TX broadcasts to the speakers RX. Something along those lines depending upon the overall setup and the desired controls.

I think there are enough products (adapters, wireless transmitters/receivers, cables,etc.) to make your proposed speaker plan work.

Basically you just need to look at and map out the transistions that need to take place from source to speaker. Then match product specifications for each step along the way.

You may also run into USB power issues; very likely chance that the USB devices will require separate power sources.

Overall a bit cumbersome....

Solution

dosel1

Estimable
Sep 8, 2014

Awesome thanks. Bluetooth wouldn't work as it goes up to 10 m. but there are a ton of products out there to try