Razer Blade QHD+ vs ASUS G501

DaniilP

Estimable
Apr 21, 2015
Hey guys,

I am currently looking for a new laptop that I can use for editing, gaming, and taking notes in college classes. I was going to get the Razer Blade QHD+ 512 GB but now that the G501 is available for purchase on Newegg, I am stuck. The build quality and size looks solid for both of those machines. The only difference is a GTX960 with 4GB on the G501 and the GTX970 with 3GB on the Razer.

My question is, which one do you guys think is better? There is a difference of $700 between the two laptop, G501 being the cheaper option. Is there really that much of a difference between a 960 and a 970? Would the 4GB on the 960 make it better than the 3GB 970?

If there is anything else that you notice makes one laptop better than the other then please do mention it!

P.S. I would not consider the MSI because I hate the way it looks. The reason I like both of these laptops is that they are very simple and solid looking.

Thanks in advanced!

I would go with the asus as they are known for their cooling. Yes the gtx 970m is more powerful but at 4k, both of these will not be able to play any games at that res due to the size constraints. The only games you will be able to play are the non gpu demanding ones.

mysnomia

Estimable
Apr 27, 2015

Hi!

Velo, sorry this will be a noob question but the G501 will only be able to play non gpu demanding games? I thought a new machine with nearly the best available (mobile) graphics card should be able to handle pretty much any title out now at near max? (I would be buying with eyes on a heavily modded skyrim and hoping to be able to connect to an occulus in the future) and at 2K USD price I would want to have appropriate expectations if this is not the case and that sort of thing can only be done with a desktop so... can you elaborate a bit?

Much appreciated!

Sure I can elaborate. The gtx 970m is a good graphics card and will be able to handle most games at high to ultra at 1080p. What I meant by it can only handle games that are non gpu intensive is when you are playing at 4k as I think that even the 980m struggles sometimes in current games.

It should be able to do everything you have said.