Razer Blade screw came loose, thread gone!

M477h3w

Commendable
Feb 22, 2016
The internal thread of one the screws for my Razer Blade has totally been trashed, as one of the screws fell out near it, leaving that screw under more pressure, which over time broke the threading in the laptop.

I have discovered that the screw size is Torx 5 M2-3.5L, whatever that means, as I can't seem to find any for sale considering I need one.

I don't really know what I should do, as I will need to open the laptop in the future most probably.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
That Torx 5 is the screwdriver head type/size, M2 means it's metric at 2 millimeters and 3.5 means it's length, so quite tiny screw and isn't long either.

Screwdriver head type is just a convenience and it'd be nice if it was same on all screws, past that it holds no real importance.

http://www.metricscrews.us/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=98_5_340

Some other shops seem to hold said screws also for sale but... rare few of them have pictures. It is likely you might get spare parts from Razer if you email them about it.

Also same screws are seemingly used in a lot of Asus laptops too so it is't unique, as far as screws go.

Edit, also opposing threads on the laptop side can also go bad if screw threads go bad, just something to keep...

little_me

Estimable
May 9, 2015
That Torx 5 is the screwdriver head type/size, M2 means it's metric at 2 millimeters and 3.5 means it's length, so quite tiny screw and isn't long either.

Screwdriver head type is just a convenience and it'd be nice if it was same on all screws, past that it holds no real importance.

http://www.metricscrews.us/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=98_5_340

Some other shops seem to hold said screws also for sale but... rare few of them have pictures. It is likely you might get spare parts from Razer if you email them about it.

Also same screws are seemingly used in a lot of Asus laptops too so it is't unique, as far as screws go.

Edit, also opposing threads on the laptop side can also go bad if screw threads go bad, just something to keep in mind.

Solution

M477h3w

Commendable
Feb 22, 2016
Oh! OK thanks man, I suspected it was something like that. Yeah the screw's are literally microscopic.

I don't think I'll contact Razer RMA, it's been a real hassle in the past considering they don't technically offer support in this country.

It also seems like you can get thread repair inserts which might help, so I'll look for something like that - otherwise the tape I'm using currently is working quite well :D.

Thanks for your help. I'm going to leave the thread open just in case somewhere else has some experience or whatever.